Sulphur in well water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sulphur in well water?

Considering using my well water for all water changes. I currently use an RO system, post softener. The only thing I don't like about it is the unit produces so slow that I have to fill a 5 gallon bucket throughout the week. Otherwise it seems like my plants love it. My well water would just be easier. It isn't the hardness that I am concerned about, it is the sulphur...my water is pretty stinky.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Just how bad would it be to use this sulphur-rich water? I know I could treat it with H2O2 and aerate, but has anyone heard of treating well water in this way for the use in aquariums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
how bad is it? smell like rotten eggs really bad? man i hate that stuff, when i used to go up the mountains i would gag while trying to brush my teeth with rotten egg water.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I've been living with it for 2 years and can still smell it every day. And anyone that comes over likes to poke at me for it. The hot water is much worse, but that's to be expected. Just wondering how bad this is for plants / fish.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Hydrogen sulphide is not good for plants. I think that is the rotten egg smell. Here is a link that gives some methods for removing it: http://www.water-research.net/sulfate.htm#options

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you tried shocking your well? Usually when a well is stinky it's because there are bacteria (colloquially known as iron bacteria) in the well. It's relatively simple to do. Basically, you adjust the pH of the well to 6-7 with pool chemicals then add pool chlorine in a certain amount. It takes a few hours then you have to not run your water for a couple of days, but it's better than taking showers in rotten eggs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Hydrogen sulphide is not good for plants. I think that is the rotten egg smell. Here is a link that gives some methods for removing it: http://www.water-research.net/sulfate.htm#options
It's not good for more than just plants. Sulphur will destroy your air conditioner, dish washer, washing machine, and just about anything else that uses your tap water.

Look into getting an aerator/chlorinator tank ASAP. The chlorine kills the bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide, the aerator pumps water into a tank at very high pressure that stirs up the water hardcore, and the air that gets put into the water pulls the sulphide out, and the rest of your water system will remove the chlorine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have shocked my well, and it provided about a week and a half of relief. I think I will try it again, a little stronger and a little longer. Thanks. And thanks Hoppy for the link...helpful read.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseeker View Post
I have shocked my well, and it provided about a week and a half of relief. I think I will try it again, a little stronger and a little longer. Thanks. And thanks Hoppy for the link...helpful read.
powdered pool shock?
if you dont have luck with that, try to get ur hands on some liquid chlorine. that stuff is real nasty if you get it on your skin or breathe it, but works really well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've done chlorine on one occasion and tablet calcium hypochlorite (nasty, wicked, caustic stuff) on another. The optimist in me says "it's the sulfur reducing bacteria, it can be controlled". The realist in me thinks my water will forever smell like pooh.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode