Do ferts raise GH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Do ferts raise GH?

Hey guys. Just tested my water and GH was 8 degrees or 140 ppm and PH was 6.5.

Im wondering if dosing ferts increases my GH if my plants are using less than what I dose;
because my makeup water has a pH of 6.8 and a GH of 4 (mix of RO water and tap water).

I CO2 inject and dose PPS pro. (I'm open to suggestions if there is a better dosing regime)

also, while im here and too lazy to create a new thread, is my lighting too bright and if so how should I adjust my photo-period?

Tank is 33.6G Mr. Aqua, 18 inches deep (3-6 inches of substrate) and lights are 4 inches off the water.

Light is a 4 X 24Watt T5 HO with parabolic reflectors. Bulbs are 2X 10,000K (***edit the 10,000K are actually 6,000K) and 2X 650nm (roseate) individual timers for both sets.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Blue Falcon; 09-15-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Yes, ferts can increase the GH, by intent. If you dose a GH booster for the calcium and magnesium you are increasing the GH. Other ferts don't do that.

PPS Pro is not adequate for a high light tank. Read the sticky on fertilizing schemes and use that method.

At a distance of 18 inches a good 4 bulb T5HO light will give you around 300 micromols of PAR, much more light than you will ever be able to live with. Remove or turn off 2 of the bulbs, and hang the light about a foot above the top of the tank, and you will have a much more manageable amount of light, around 40-50 micromols.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
You could get by with only one of four bulbs if you'd like. Four bulbs seems like way too much. I would turn it down to just two bulbs and that would be a nice level that you can still grow anything and have nice coloration (1x 10k and 1x roseate, but ideally you'd swap the 10k for a 6700k, no big deal though).

Ferts will not add to your GH unless they contain Ca or Mg. GH booster ferts do contain these because they are designed to boost GH. Ferts like KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, etc. don't raise GH, but ferts like MgSO4 (which is part of PPS Pro) and trace element ferts that contain Mg or Ca do.

As far as a regimen goes, I (and many others on this forum) like the Estimative Index method, or EI for short. This basically has you dose excess of all nutrients and then water change 50% of your water weekly to reset the system and not allow the nutrients to build up. I like this regimen because you can easily adjust it to you own needs and plants slowly over time to where you set a comfortable routine for yourself without ever worrying about deficiencies.

edit: WOW Hoppy just did a huge ninja on me. Covered everything I said in my post.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks Hoppy and VeeSe. Oh and by the way, I was wrong about the bulbs; the 10,000K are actually 6,000k (I will make not in my original comment). I will decrease my lighting to only 2 bulbs but I really like the look of the Roseate. Would it be OK to use 1 6,000K bulb and 1 roseate bulb or do I need both 6,000k bulbs? (all my plants are high light). And as far as photo-period im running 10 hours a day.

I will take a look at EI dosing. The PPS pro I an using does have Mg in it so I guess that is what is bumping my GH up slowly. I will push my water changing regime to weekly rather than bi-weekly like I have been and perhaps that will help correct any buildup in the ferts that are not taken up by my plants as quickly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can use one of each bulb just fine. Use the bulbs on the outside of your fixture for the best light spread. I have cut back to 2 bulbs on my 75. EI and PPS-Pro use the same amount of micros so no need to change that. I am attempting to dose my ferts like we do our reef tanks. It is just harder to get the N and P usage figured out. Definitely use the K at the EI dosage since excess of it does no harm while a lack does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks 2 in 10, I set up my fixture to run 1 6,000k bulb and 1 650nm roseate bulb so we will see how that works.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I'd raise that light 12-14" above the tank.

I use the same light on a 70 Gallon tank and it's the same height, but 16" high above the top of the tank.

You can simple modify any dosing routine to accommodate, they all add the same stuff, just different amounts, so they are not different really, just their rational for suggesting more/less etc.

Light/CO2 are much more prominent for success and ease of management.

Ferts are fairly easy then..........

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quick update, I'm still using PPS pro for now since I already have a large batch mixed up. As far as the lights, I am very happy with running 2 bulbs only. My BBA and green water is getting under control now. Thanks for all your input guys. Happy fish keeping.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Congrats, good to hear.

Canon Pimp Club #041

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode