2.5g dosing"? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
2.5g dosing"?

Hey guys, setting up a tank in my dorm room and since its so small and easy I think I am going to make it alittle more high tec then I normaly do... I am a complete noob with any kind of fert or whatever else someone would dose...
Id love if someone can give me a symple dosing regement.
Things to think about...
1. I wannna just be able to pick the stuff up from my local fish store.
2. Dont want it to be crazy!

About the Tank
1. 2.5gal aquarium
2. 13W 6500k desk top light
3. Soon to be DIY co2 with nano defuser
4. Flourite Black substrate
5. Growing HC and DHG
6. Must be shrimp safe. plan on keeping blue pearls.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I know that it may blow it out of the water because of your requirement of "picking it up at the LFS" but have you dosing a combo mix? I mean the ability to mix and dose each macro and micro at a 1-to-1 rate could greatly lessen the complexity and attention your nano shrimp tank needs. All of the fertilizer that I have gotten from aquariumfertilizer.com has been shrimp safe and if you would like a testament to their work then look no further than my tank journal. Not trying to push them out there as your ONLY choice but their ability to deliver macro and micro fertilization powder that is easily mixed and administered has superseeded any other vendor that I have dealt with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok thanks very much ill look into it! i guesss getting something shipped to u is easyer then picking it up now adays.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Oh by far, the site is here and I got to be honest I use them because they make my huge tank look like I dose dry ferts when in reality its an easily administered mix that provides 1 part each of Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Plantex CSM+B. I take it that they know more about what they are doing than I do. Now if you have plants that need speciality doses like iron or whatnot you will have to look for something more.

I hope this helps.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 AM
wet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY is awesome and you should do it because it's not as hard as it sounds and is pretty cool. (And cheap!)

But if you want something really easy, have you considered some of the liquid fertilizers sold by say RootMedic or PFertz? With such a tiny tank that dollar goes a lot further and this way it doesn't have to be "crazy": just pump a few times and forget about it for a day or three.

Also, I think NY has some clubs. Maybe one of the members there can help out or measure out a mix for you that you can dilute in, say, a 2L bottle, then dose a bottle cap every other day or something.

Just ideas.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks guys! ill look into both
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
+1 on diy dry ferts. I go mine from bobs tropical plants. Best part is you can mix em however you want. I mixed all mine separate, and dose 5 ml of every solution daily. I use the estimative index method. Word of warning though, don't mix phosphate and iron (micro nutrient mix) together, it creates a dust that isn't as usable for plants ( apparently).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode