Do certain tap water conditioners affect iron levels? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do certain tap water conditioners affect iron levels?

I'v read that some tap water conditioners can affect intake of iron in plants. Specifically NovAqua plus. Anyone's info would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
I'v read that some tap water conditioners can affect intake of iron in plants. Specifically NovAqua plus. Anyone's info would be great.
never really had any problem using prime, if anything that contain phosphate which will effect the iron and make the water cloudy sometime. i never used NovAqua and neither do i think they put anything in any water conditioner which will effect the iron level.

are you dosing any Mg in your tank? if Mg is 0 in water then iron cannot be used properly. if you are adding phosphate and iron at the same time this will cause the water to become cloudy and both will cancel each other out.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
No, but ph will make a difference to the availability of iron in the water. That's why there is EDTA iron, dtpa iron, ect. I don't know offhand which was for which ph but you can definitely google it and/or search the fertilizer subforum ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
No, but ph will make a difference to the availability of iron in the water. That's why there is EDTA iron, dtpa iron, ect. I don't know offhand which was for which ph but you can definitely google it and/or search the fertilizer subforum ^^
EDTA iron for ph under 7 and dtpa PH over 7. i think

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The only thing I'm using currently is Flourish Excel and 25-50% water changes every two to three days. Needless to say I'm not seeing any great plant growth. Tank had been going for about 4 months, I'm saving up for an high tech co2 setup. Thanks for the advice. It give me a direction to research.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
well you are missing a lot of other fertilizers then plants need more than light and c02 just like you can't survive healthily off of rice and water only

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode