PH swing at large water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
PH swing at large water change?

Hi,

I'm not sure about this issue, how much PH change if I was to do a 50% water change with my tap water PH of 8 and my tank water PH is 7.2? How do the fish handle this anyone know?

I have a 75G tank.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I just asked this not to long ago. Check out this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13831
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks,

I've read through the thread and couldn't come to a conclusion. Look like it's 50/50 chance. grungefreek seem to have problem while shalu doesn't. I guess it's better to start with a small % water change, say 20%, and work my way up at 10% increment every week until 50% to see how the fish handle. Look like everyone has different experience with this PH swing issue.

Khoi,

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to rayhwong
I think the pH swing is going to depend on the KH of your tap water. The pH of tap out of teh pipe is different from the pH after it aerates out or sits overnight. My tap comes in at pH 9 with a KH <1. Since the KH is so low this is not the equilibrium pH. Overnight it goes to 7 as the gases come out and in of the water.
My tank pH is set at 6.8. When i add 50% new fresh tap it goes to 6.9-7.0.

So lets say if your tank kH is low but your tap has high KH, the amount of new water will add more carbonate hardness and determine your degree of pH swing.

The CO2 in my water and the KH from the old water (4) readily buffers the new water and minimizes the swing. I add baking soda to bump the KH up after the pH stabilizes.

You can minimize pH swings by running a powerhead in a tub of your new water to aerate it for a couple hours. That should flush out any gases.

Ray

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Khoile - I kind of look at my thread this way - WfxXx, Malkore, & shalu all reported no issues. I have read a lot of posts by these folks and I respect their opinions. grungefreek was the only one who reported issues and he was using DIY co2. I have a controller/pressurized system that I am setting up so I hope it is not an issue. I am pretty confident that it will not matter. My tank is still not up and running (don't ask ) so I can not yet speak from personal experience.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Algae Grower

Yep i was having big dramas with pH swings at water changes. Since i have started lowering my change water pH to the same as my tanks, i have stopped losing fish. Dont know why i had issues and others didnt, but pH seemed to be my problem.

25gal in progress, just deciding on lighting and then its full steam ahead!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

FWIW, my parameters: KH=7, GH=10-11, tap pH~7.8, tank ph~6.9. I've been doing weekly (in theory ) 50% water changes for nearly a year now and have noticed any related loss.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Having done 50%+ water changes for some 30 years, (non planted tanks as well), I've had no issues in various tap waters all over the USA.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

I think the main reason of ph being a problem regarding water changes may relate to osmotic pressure changes on the fish.
Water hardness is the real issue I believe. Ph would coinside with hardness IF we were not adding co2, Sooo if the difference in ph is because of the co2 I dont think its as big as an issue. Anyone please correct me if Im wrong
Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode