magnesium def and overdose? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
magnesium def and overdose?

so. my sword has magnesium def according to a chart. the veins are dark on it. i dose above EI in my tanks with micros. 29 gallon with 1/8 tsp csm+b. also 1/4 tsp of epsom salt and 1-2 ml of flourish iron.

however my ludwigia has a few curling leaves that suggests either mg overdose or calcium def.. i didn't think it was possible to overdose mg easily. and if that's the case why is my sword looking like poop?
i dose 1/2 tsp GH booster weekly as well.
my tap water also has clacium

im confused

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
By far the most common nutrient deficiency is carbon deficiency, or CO2 deficiency. And, that will cause just about any symptom of poor plant health you might ever see. That's why chasing deficiencies is less fruitful than just dosing non-limiting amounts of all nutrients, and working on your CO2 system to be sure you are providing as much as you can to the plants.

Hoppy
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

hoppy im sad.. we went over this in private.. cmon man i've got around 65 ppm c02... LOL my fish according to most people should be dead!!!

if i need more c02.. im throwing those plants away!!!

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
After testing water for three years I can say from my experience that you cannot reliably diagnose a plant defficiency by looking at the plant. This is especially true of Ca/Mg problems. The only reliable way to know the level of a nutrient is to test it using a relible test.
If it were possible to determine a nutrient problem by looking at the plant, my Ag Agent would ask me to bring some plants and not a soil sample.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i would say ur probably right... who knows.. i overdose everything at this point...except light. oh well time will tell

ill note i never had this problem under fertilizer with flourish line. just bad algae

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
try add more magnesium sulfate
ive added up to a table spoon per 5 gal lol
made my water clearer but no ill effects
i dont add that much anymore haha
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I thought potassium def was dark veiniation?

Also since you gave a ppm for co2 and I highly doubt you have actual accurate co2 testing equipment, that your using the ph kh co2 chart. If that's the case you really have no idea how much co2 you have in the tank.

The only way to be certain that you have proper co2 levels w/o the ridiculously expensive equipment is to up the bubble count till you see stress in fauna then back it down a notch.

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i have one

also hach c02 test kits are fairly accurate imo.. based on results from mah probe

also note the oxyguard can only read up to 50 ppm c02.. after that u have to find alternative methods

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

im also looking into getting another meter that reads higher but less accurate. anton parr.. its for beverages but it may help fill in the blind spots

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well then you should have enough gas.

post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hach makes a co2 titration kit. We have one in my lab. if you can get your hands on some sodium hydroxide then you should be able to walk through testing your co2 in ppm by simple drop count method. if you're interested I'll look through tonight when I get to work on the process and help out in anyway I can.
I was having some of the same issues with my mexican oak leaf, I have sense up the c o 2 to about 70 ppm and have seen no ill effects on any of my fish. I have found that the chart is inaccurate but testing with the proper equipment and checking with a drop checker have show my numbers to be consistent.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." JFK 1962
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
so. my sword has magnesium def according to a chart. the veins are dark on it. i dose above EI in my tanks with micros. 29 gallon with 1/8 tsp csm+b. also 1/4 tsp of epsom salt and 1-2 ml of flourish iron.

however my ludwigia has a few curling leaves that suggests either mg overdose or calcium def.. i didn't think it was possible to overdose mg easily. and if that's the case why is my sword looking like poop?
i dose 1/2 tsp GH booster weekly as well.
my tap water also has clacium

im confused
Huh? Isn't curling leaves a kind of stunting? And Mg shortage can stunt plants.
But the 1/4 TSP you said = 3x a week? If so, that's already adequate. Couldn't be Mg def then.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks daniel! i have a hach titration kit. i use it in conjunction with my probe now...

use curling leaves are a type of stunting. i don't think calcium or MG simply because my tap water contains both, i dose gh booster per EI. i add 1/8 tsp of csm +B which is double the EI dose. and i add 1/4 tsp of MGSO4 3 x a week as well with iron.
standard EI for my tank of 29 g with KNO3 and KH2PO4. i also add 1/8 tsp of potassium sulfate on my macro days.. oh and trace 1-2 ml of flourish iron as well.... I SHOULD BE WELL over EI on my micro side... Phos and Nitrate kits test and show i have plenty of both.. 20-30 nitrates and around 5ppm phosphates... i have no reason to believe my K would be low either

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks like you are adding more than non limiting amounts of all the nutrients. Maybe your co2 equipment is incorrect?

post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I SURE HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will be one upset puppy. however it comes with calibration fluid and appears to be calibrated properly...

Since i've thought about it i tested my tank water and it appears my phosphates are above 10 ppm.. whats this i've read before about iron and phosphates cancelling each other out? MG and IRON def look and act similar... im wondering... anyone care to fill in the dots

bsmith i think i've read somewhere you make fresh REAL fishie food.. is this correct?

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode