CO2 increase and KH increase? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 increase and KH increase?

I have recently started with pressurized CO2 injection via a CO2 reactor. It's been 2 days and I am happy with the rise of CO2 levels in my tank. But I noticed that when I am dissolving more and more CO2, the KH actually went up slightly accordingly.

At first I go from
pH 7.6, kH 4

Then later on as:
pH7.2, KH 6
pH7.0, KH 7
pH6.8, KH 8

pH was measured with a handheld monitor, and KH was measured with test kits.

Is this normal? Does additional CO2 in the water also increased KH as well?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Strange... It shouldn't have any impact on KH.

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I dont think it's posible for CO2 to raise your KH level. Do you have anything else in your canister filter? I also use presurizzed CO2 and my KH stays at a solid 10 for the past 3 days, while my Ph drops from 8 to 7.2

Khoi,

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The only reason you'll see a rise in Kh after injecting CO2, is if you have lots of limestone based rock in your tank. This rock will always dissolve over time, and increase your water's hardness. By injecting CO2, you've added carbonic acid to the water, which increases the dissolve rate. However I've never heard of it rising a full 2-3 degrees over a couple of days.
I'd have your LFS test your Kh with a different brand of test kit.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK, I will get another brand of test kits to reconfirm. It's quite hard to find quality test kits here. No salifert, No LaMotte.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

Its very possible, I had it happen to my discus tank which I had put a bunch of lace agate into, most of the stone was ok but there were some veins of softer material that was getting dissolved, as soon as I pulled the rocks out and did some w/cs the kh returned back to normal
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Crushed coral in a filter would probably have the same effect.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I probably won't have time to go to the LFS until this weekend. But now I am suspecting it maybe combination of bad testkit and substrate.

My substrate is flora-base like material, and on top of it are those colored gravels. I know, I know that it's unnatural to find color gravel in the wild. But I thought the grain size is suitable, so I just used it.

I wonder if it's the gravel that is the culprit? I measured the KH again this morning (about 4 hours ago), the KH has risen to 9 degrees. I backed off CO2 a bit last night and pH went up to 7.0. So I am still at 30ppm-ish of CO2.

Maybe I should look into replacing all gravel to plain sand, with flora base material mixed in. Other than gravel, I don't think there are anything in the tank that could've contributed to KH rise. I do not use any filter material other than polyester filter floss, and the decor is bog wood. Could flake food contribute to KH? Kind of doubt it.

Oh, decision, decision, decisions.

Do y'all think I should continue to do more frequent water changes to bring KH back down, until I get the gravel replaced? Because by the look of it, it's going up 1KH a day, and that is a bit scary.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Danmhippo, hows it going.

Been having the same thing happen myself, ive got a 'Ecocomplete' substrate, and before i was injecting C02 the KH would rise allmost daily (hey, its free chems so who's complaining). Now that ive strated injecting C02, it seems to have restarted the buffering from the substrate.

I was initially concerned that my test kit was giving bad readings, but now i think im sure its the substrate as i cant for the life of me find any connection between KH test kit and C02 effecting each other, and ive been trolling plenty of boards looking for that scenario specifically.

Keep up the water changes, use Pure RO, and i think/hope it will come back under controll. Or at least get to a level where the plants can synthasise it as quickly as its being produced.

Good luck bro!

{SQUAT} on tour!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Mouse? The London Mouse? LOL! How's going?

I've been doing great myself, except moved out of LA, relocated to Taiwan for the last 2 years. Where I am at now would not be able to support a good reef tank, so I am getting into nano planted tank.

Back to the subject. I've been troubling with this problem for the last few weeks and could not really find out why. The substrate is the only thing left that could affect kH.

I used 2 types of gravel. Colored aquarium gravel and flora base. It could very well be one of the two or even both. Yesterday, I've decided to change gravel. Instead of colored gravel, I removed most of the substrate (including flora base) and replaced with a black fine sand that I do not know the composition, but have tested for a couple of days that it does not alter water parameter.

I will post an update a couple weeks later.

As far as fertilizing plants, I will be relying on plant tabs.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

The one and only, good to hear from you, hope your enjoying Taiwan!!

As i said ive got eco complete, and to start with any substrate ive ever used leaches Kh into the water. Especially with C02.

Recently though it seems to have kicked off again, im wondering if some of my newest plants have anything to do with it. Theres two plants that ive just placed the pots directly into the tank, Glosso & Hair grass. I was hoping that they would spread better if i didn't remove the plants from the pots as the roots wouldn't be disturbed.

BUT, now im thinking the rockwool in the pots may be whats contributing to the rising Kh levels. Im sure rockwool's jammed full of planty nutrients and stuff, so perhaps this is whats desolving in my tank.

Dont suppose youve done the same?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No. I've always unwrapped and discarded the rockwools.

FYI, So far after getting the gravel replaced, my KH has remained stable at 5degrees. Hopefully it's going to stay this way.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Algae Grower

Mine too, got a stable 4DKh.

Also picked up 50 Cardinal tetras, and 30 Ember tetras this weekend. Lookin awesome.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

80 tetras? Bogger, my tank must be mickey mouse compare to yours. Yeah, my water's dKH has remained very stable since the gravel replacement. So I guess it must've been something in the colored gravel that is keeping the dKH up and up. Gawd, am I glad the dKH mystery is finally behind me.

How big is your tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode