help to choose/dose fert low light tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
help to choose/dose fert low light tank

Hi,

I got 180G low light planted tank no CO2 running so far so good but would like to dose some fertz to keep my plants happy. Please let me know what are my options? i have read here and there and very confuse me.

here is my tank link
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...nted-tank.html

additional info: use tap water only and very hard water per city report it's high 400's, usually 50% WC per week or more if fish act different or water looks dirty, nitrate around 10-20.

Thank you in advance,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
How about some root tabs fertilizer? just stick them directly under your plant. Someone selling really cheap osmocote plus root tab on the swap and sell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #038
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
You could dose a small amount of macro nutrients Nitrogen, Phoshporus, and potassium You probably don't have to dose any nitrogen since you already have you're fish to help you with that. I would also dose micro nutrients I really like CSM+b but it's the only stuff i've ever used so i might have some bias.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish Comprehensive but for such a large tank, you're probably better off finding something cheap.

I too have a low light/no CO2 tank (although much much smaller tank) and I dose Excel + Flourish Comprehensive (which is micro). I'm not sure if I should do macro.

I will get root tabs though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
This link should answer most if not all of your questions (there's also a guide for non-excel tanks). The author derives and credits most of this info from tom barr.

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's Tom Barr Non-CO2 method

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods

Limiting water changes keeps CO2 more stable. For example, I change the water once every 3 weeks in my non-CO2 tank. I also add ferts(EI Dosing) 1 X a week since the plants take up nutrients at a much slower pace.

From the amount of fish you have in that tank and the easy plants growing in there, I think something like a water change every 2 weeks and dosing ferts 1 X week would work well. Do some more research though, I have very little knowledge about keeping discus and their specific needs.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I would go the dry fert route. It's soo cheep and lasts for years.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Since you do weekly 50% WC's I would think that you would have enough Macro nutrients (and maybe even Micro too) for the plants. But if you want to dose some Micro you could dose CSM+b once a week after your WC.

Root tabs would also be a great option. Rootmedic has a great line that includes Macro ferts. I have found that when using their tabs some of the nutrients gets into the water column from when I disturb the substrate messing with the plants.

Here is what I would do.

3 of these. This would give you a good amount of Macro nutrients and Fe.

Then I would get CSM+b and dose it weekly after WC's which can be purchased here. You could dose 1-2 tsp weekly after WC and that would give you good amounts of micro nutrients.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found a guy in my area selling these dry fertz KNO3, KH2PO4,13.2% Iron Chelate. i am going to pick up some 13.2% Iron Chelate, but do i need KH2PO4? Also, from my understand correctly, my fish wastes will provide Nitrate, so i don't need KNO3?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, i did 50% WC today and dose some KH2PO4 and 13.2% Irone Chelate base on EI method. it's 180G tank and i estimate 150G water and dosed 33ml KH2PO4 and 15ml Iron Chelate. from calculator, i added to tank see below. Is it enough and do i need anything else?

solution mix 4.5 teaspoon with ro/di water 1L
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

question: how many mg in 1 table spoon / teaspon?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode