Ozone in Planted Tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ozone in Planted Tanks?

Is anyone on the forum using Ozone to improve water quality in freshwater? I live in China and use tap water (not potable). My ORP controller reads a fairly constant 290.

I change about 25% of the water weekly and I inject CO2 during the daytime currently controlled at PH 6.7. Dkh is 6.8. Plants are flourishing but the fish are struggling with the lower PH.

Is there a benefit for the inhabitants? What other water parameters would be affected if I added ozone?

Tank is ~400 Liters. Photoperiod is 6 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is an interesting question. I know reefers use ozone and since I started using it in my hot tub, I hardly ever add chlorine.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Ozone reduced organic contaminants...I think your issue is probably a combination of metal contaminants and organics. I don't really think it'll help. Ozone is something very hard to control. Too much and you kill your fish too little and it does nothing.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You might wish to check out this link, which had a lot of detailed information about ozone systems. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Sytem-Overview
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
UV sterilizer might help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What problem are you trying to correct? Do you know why your tap water isn't potable (i.e. what contaminants it has?) A pH of 6.7 isn't particularly low for most freshwater fish, though there are certainly exceptions.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
this article may help you understand water quality in terms of ozone or the oxygen reduction potential of your aquarium.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....Potential.html

there are certain elements that will help with redox, and some that will hurt it.. prime helps, and uv sterilizers will also help.. turn on a UV in a tank full of organics and redox agents.. water will cloud instantly but within a day it will be nice and sparkly so to say..

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks all for your comments and advice. After following the two links it looks like maybe a little more than I want to tackle right now. I am still fine tuning the Co2 controller and ferts.

Maybe later this year? If I do....I will let you all know the result....

Right now getting ready for three weeks in the US for home leave..... Hope I still have a tank when I get back
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry.... forgot to add. I have no idea what the contents of the water is..... No water report available here that I can find. I am limited to the data I get from test kits that I bring in with me and the PH/ORP controller.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If your tap is non potable I would look into RODI filtration.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
RODI filtration is taxing to the water supply and expensive to start. I'm not saying its not an option but RODI always has a start up cost associated that both freshwater gurus and reefers do not like.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I would like to know the results of the ozone additive.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Not sure RO/DI would get me to drink water that wasn't safe to drink going in. I'd be concerned with bacterial levels and such. We are use to taking water already safe to drink and making it better.

When I reach in my tanks now my only poop concern is from the fish. lol
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i'll be honest.. tap water filtration plants use bacteria as their primary filtration method and chlorine to kill off whats left.. my tank has the same bacteria and so does yours..

I'd drink my tank water if i didn't use it to water my plants... all the bacteria is weighted since it is full and stays on surfaces.. the water will have a fertilizer/ dirt taste to it but is otherwise safe... unless u have parasites and such in ur tank or sick fish

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Couple health studies have been done in other countries that show a high level of occurrence of Salmonella in LFS and hobbyist tanks. I'm not afraid of my water but I sure wont drink it.

The OP is in China and and if officials say it's non-potable I'm going to believe them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode