Cloudy White Water: Bacterial Outbreak? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy White Water: Bacterial Outbreak?

I have a 20 gallon tank, with 48W T5HO lights, 10 Neon Tetras, 4 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 5 Assassin Snails. Feeding is once or twice a day, usually flakes but I go with Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms once a week.

I dose Excel every day, 2.5 ml. I dose Flourish Iron and Comprehensive supplement the same amount, twice a week. I dose 20 ml of Nutrafin Cycle during my weekly water change.

My nitrite and ammonia is 0. The outbreak seemed to have happened after doing some rescaping so I thought I might have released toxins from the substrate but there's no nitrite or ammonia.

Last week I performed two 50 % water changes and went dark for three days. That brought the tank back to normal but this week, it's back to being cloudy.

All I can think of is that my lights are on too long. I put them on around 7:30 am and they're on for about 12-14 hours. Since I'm not home until 6-6:30 pm, the earliest I could turn them off would be after around 11 hours. Maybe I should invest in a timer?

The tank is two months old and this is the first time cloudiness has become an issue. I didn't think lights would affect bacteria, only algae but it's definitely a murky white, not brown or green. The critters don't seem affected though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
A mild greenwater bloom can appear milky white in a tank.

So put some tank water in a tall, clear drinking glass or similar container. Then put it on a piece of typing paper, or other white surface in room lighting, and look straight down. See if you can detect a green tinge then.

I bet you can. That's both a lot of light, and a long photoperiod; too much for a tank without real CO2 and heavy fertilization. A timer would definitely be a good thing, maybe with a dual-photoperiod (lighting siesta) to better fit your viewing schedule.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode