Ferts and what type? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ferts and what type?

I have read and read and read.. Still just unsure of what I really need. Currently I am dosing Flourish+Seachem Trace+Potass+Nitrogen.
And guys this really adds up $ and I want to make the invenstment into a dry fert routine. However I am not sure WHICH?
EI
PMMD
Direct

I want to be able to mix a weeks worth of dosing, so that in the mornings all I have to do is Dose. I now have a python so weekly WC arent an issue any longer.

I just want someone to say GET this...do this... and leave me out of the guess work

Setup:
75 Gal dirted
108w T5ho
Pressurized co2

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

CSM+B
KNO3
KH2PO4

will cover micro and macros. follow EI and just dry dose into the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
I have read and read and read.. Still just unsure of what I really need. Currently I am dosing Flourish+Seachem Trace+Potass+Nitrogen.
And guys this really adds up $ and I want to make the invenstment into a dry fert routine. However I am not sure WHICH?
EI
PMMD
Direct

I want to be able to mix a weeks worth of dosing, so that in the mornings all I have to do is Dose. I now have a python so weekly WC arent an issue any longer.

I just want someone to say GET this...do this... and leave me out of the guess work

Setup:
75 Gal dirted
108w T5ho
Pressurized co2
Do EI dosing, mix the macros in one bottle and the micros in another. Put in 3 doses in each bottle and mix in the amount of ro water you want to use. You can then dose from the bottles every other day as EI states or each day using half the dose.

Canon Pimp Club #041

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to gil_ong Send a message via MSN to gil_ong
Having similar confusions.

Does your substrate also determine what/how much you dose?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It can if it is very rich and leaches the nutrients.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can do EI dosing using a cheap 7 day pill minder. Premesure each day's dry fert dose once a week and then each day pop the top in the morning and dump in the tank. Macros and micros every other day on schedule. You'll know if you've missed a day

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts and What Kind

Good morning Jason...

Maybe I can cut through the "fluff" for you. There are two kinds of nutrients the plants need: Macro and micro. The macro like calcium, sulfates, potassium, etc. are easy. Those are provided by doing large and frequent water changes and feeding your fish a varied diet, so they can contribute the rest of the macros.

The micros, like iron, manganese, zinc, etc. are a little trickier, because those come from a commercial source and a lot of the ferts on the market are average at best. There are some very good ones too, both dry and liquid. I use liquids, because they're easy to dose and very inexpensive.

You can research the micros on line and see what's available.

If you need any specifics, just PM me any time.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
There are some very good ones too, both dry and liquid. I use liquids, because they're easy to dose and very inexpensive.

You can research the micros on line and see what's available.
So you're saying Liquid Micros are cheaper in Liquid form? So what are some of the good one? Seachem?

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

powders are WAYYYYY cheaper

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
So you're saying Liquid Micros are cheaper in Liquid form? So what are some of the good one? Seachem?
Of all the good advice posted, why did you only respond to the single bad post?

Do exactly what Nonconductive and Audioaficionado said.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
More on Ferts

Hello again Jason...

Just saying liquid micro ferts can be very inexpensive. I don't like the word "cheap" very well. Cheap to me means worthless.

Anyway, I dose a couple of different kinds of liquids, because like everything that's living, it grows best with a varied diet.

The hydroponics stores sell excellent liquids at very good prices. I have large, well planted tanks and CO2 is out of the question, so I need an easy way to fertilize my plants.

I use "Earth Juice" liquids at about $13.00 a quart, this stuff is very concentrated and a bottle lasts well over a year and I dose six tanks a couple of times a week. This fert is organic, so I don't have to worry about water condition problems.

Plant care is really pretty simple if you can wade through all the "chemistry class" stuff.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
The macro like calcium, sulfates, potassium, etc. are easy.
Incorrect. The macros are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

Quote:
Those are provided by doing large and frequent water changes and feeding your fish a varied diet, so they can contribute the rest of the macros.
In your low-tech, non-CO2, and presumably low-light tanks this is possible. However, Jason clearly stated he has a high-tech, CO2, high-light tank.

You are giving inappropriate advice based solely on your personal tank style, rather than advice relevant to the tank style being discussed.

Quote:
I use "Earth Juice" liquids at about $13.00 a quart, this stuff is very concentrated and a bottle lasts well over a year and I dose six tanks a couple of times a week. This fert is organic, so I don't have to worry about water condition problems.
Earth Juice's basic "Grow" formula contains: Oat bran, sea kelp, bat guano, steamed bone meal, natural potash, blood meal and feather meal.

This is NOT a suitable fertilizer for any tank containing livestock! In fact, it's not a proper aquatic fertilizer at all...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

^^ +1

You can't really beat the price and ease of dry ferts using the EI method.

The only hassle is the weekly water changes. With a good Python setup, even that's fairly easy.

Steve

:

:

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
CSM+B
KNO3
KH2PO4

will cover micro and macros. follow EI and just dry dose into the tank.
+1

If your water is soft - below 3dGH/KH - you will need GH Booster.

If your plants are exceptionally iron-hungry, you may wish to add optional iron supplements.

If there's an easier method than dry dosing, I have no idea what it could be. Just try adding it where the fish aren't.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Drop some food in one corner and dump the ferts in the other while they're being distracted.

Steve

:

:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode