Anyone use LaMotte test kits? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone use LaMotte test kits?

I heard that the LaMotte test kits are pricy but very accurate....Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Not worth it for regular testing. Won't ever need to know information beyond. "Nitrates are not 0 and are not above readable range" whether ammonia is present and the general pH of your water.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Very accurate, but $$$, I have 1 for NO3, Its served me well.

Jeffww, I dont understand what you are saying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Very accurate, but $$$, I have 1 for NO3, Its served me well.

Jeffww, I dont understand what you are saying?
The accuracy that these kits provide goes beyond our uses. We will never need to know any information beyond the fact that:

1. Nitrates have not bottomed out and are not beyond safe or acceptable levels
2. The pH is relatively stable is within an acceptable range
3. Ammonia is not present in the system in any measureable way.
4. In general parameters are not "out of whack"

In other terms we don't need to know anything more what the cheap API kits can tell us. Purchasing a highly accurate kit is only so useful to us since we can't ourselves affect water quality except in a very global/broad/guesstimative perspective with regards to our tanks. Additionally knowing the measurements of parameters to a +- 5ppm isn't really necessary for growing good plants and keeping healthy fish.

Save that cash and buy more plants + fertilizer. You'll need it more than having an at home lab. (however appealing that may sound to me)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I don't test my tanks. For any water tests for experiments or rootmedic research, I've had a lab do it. Home test kits are either junk, or not worth the money.

My 75g tank hasn't seen a test in years.

My other tanks have used ammonia test strips just for cycling info. They are all shrimp breeding tanks so after that, I don't much care.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I personally think that the accuracy one needs in a kit is up to the person using it.

I love my lamotte N kit. It really helps me fine tune what I need to dose for my harder to keep happy plants. I also like to find out what x amount of kno3 adds to my tanks in relation to the size of that tank.

So I personally find it's accuracy very useful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode