anyone use Iodine in their shrimp tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
anyone use Iodine in their shrimp tanks?

I have heard that iodine is actually is beneficial to any shrimps health and provides better coloring.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do. I was having moltingdeaths prior. Nothing since though
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

anyone else use it??

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I've heard bad things about it so never tried it.. Would be interested to know the results though..

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

the person that told me about it said to uses kents reef iodine. he uses it in small amounts, like 1/2 tbl spoon per 40 gallons a month and said the shrimp coloring is amazing!
I started it a few weeks ago and the babies and adults are fine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What kind of shrimp we talking about here? Crystals?

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm.. I may try it but further evidence/experience or like before/after pics would be nice.. Although I'm not expecting anyone to have those on hand..

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
What kind of shrimp we talking about here? Crystals?

yea, I have cherries and crystals and they are fine... so far...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've used the Kent product, at 2-3 drops per 10G weekly, and it successfully prevented what appeared to be molting deaths in ghost shrimp; extending average lifespans in my tanks from mere weeks, to normal. Beyond that, my shrimp-keeping experience is limited.

Some say that my results are due to iodine killing harmful bacteria, but I've seen reference to iodine being used for this purpose in saltwater tanks, and the required dosage is hundreds of times higher. Even the recommended saltwater supplemental dosage is 20x higher.

Some say that shrimp can't utilize iodine in the water at all, so it has no effect. Or the tiny amount added to water is too small to have any effect, and is dwarfed by the amount of iodine in typical shrimp food. And that the recommendations to use it are just a ploy to sell iodine, though the cheap price and small dosages involved would hardly make it a worthwhile deception.

And many others say it increases molting frequency, as per a research paper I've long since forgotten the name of; and conclude this is an indicator of irritation and toxicity. To me, it seems unlikely that such a small amount is such a potent irritant; and that increased molting could just as easily be an indicator of better health and growth. But I've never seen anything in that paper or elsewhere that clearly supports either interpretation.

I wrote this off as more of a religious than scientific debate long ago. It probably isn't necessary, but probably won't hurt either. So it's probably best to try it if you're so inclined, and come to your own conclusions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i was told that shrimp farms use it to color up their shrimp to sell more ... who knows

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode