LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Does this sound ok?

KH 1.5-2
GH 4
PH 6.2-6.4
(co2 injected extremely slowly)

It seems as all my plants are doing well as are all my fish (mostly neon tetra's and cory's) and my shrimps are doing great (cherry and japonica) I even saw a tiny little baby shrimp swimming around today.

So, everything seems as if it's ok - but I'm used to having a PH closer to 7.. I know the co2 injection and the addition of driftwood into my tank are the reasons for low PH, I'm just wondering if it's something to be concerned about...

Also, its a plain gravel bottom, no buffers at all (no chemicals ever used besides de-chlor) and no carbon is used because I like the look of the stained /tannin water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Does this sound ok?
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your tank, which, by the way, looks very nice. What type of lights do you have and what is the wattage and how old is your setup? It looks like it's a 10 gallon tank. First, your KH is a bit low, meaning your water isn't really buffered so even a little CO2 will lower your pH a lot even with a slow injection. It's not bad, but you could raise your KH to about 4.

Your lights look blue, which is why I'm asking about them. Depending on your light wattage, you might want to start adding some fertilizers. Your tank appears a bit dark and you say you like the look of the tannin-stained water, which leads me to believe you may be trying to recreate a south american biotope tank. If so, you have a good start. Do you know the names of the kind of plants you have? This will help to determine if your plants will do well in the long term.

Have you thought about a ground cover for your foreground? Glosso might be a good choice even in low light and should do well with the extra CO2. Give us more info about your tank and I'm sure you'll get lots more responses.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:07 PM

the gravel looks to coarse for glosso...which also doesn't do well in low light tanks...it needs 2wpg minimum, more like 2.5-3wpg if you're new to planted tanks (you need extra light so you have room for error)

Your Kh is too low to safely inject CO2 to 'good' levels (20-30ppm). Increase Kh to at least 3 degrees, or 4 degrees to give yourself a little more buffering (and safety).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
I have *very* low lighting, for the 50gallons of this tank, I only have 1 20 watt normal fluro.
I'm in the process of upgrading, building my own hood which will have the appropriate amount of light - but everything's doing fine now it seems.. no pearling though. I don't know the temperature of the bulb, but it seems to be doing ok for the plants (the largest pad on my bananna plant is easily 4" in diameter and the apons are growing out of control)
I dose water ferts with every water change (Tetra)

The blue tint to the light is from the camera I used (borrowed cam. weird settings)

You both mentioned using something to buffer the KH... is there anything you would reccomend from personal experience?

As far as the biotope, I'm not trying to recreate anything specifically.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode