GH/KH changed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
GH/KH changed

Im sorta confused here and don't know how to fix this. I have always had soft water with a kh of 120 ppm now its sayin my water is very hard and the kh is 300+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SunSun Pimp #57

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Test could be wrong, or do you have something in the tank that is raising the kh? what types of rock or substrate are you using?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I'd say the same thing!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekidwell View Post
Im sorta confused here and don't know how to fix this. I have always had soft water with a kh of 120 ppm now its sayin my water is very hard and the kh is 300+
kH has nothing to do with the hardness of your water. It is related to the total alkalinity. Things that add alkalinity like PO4-3, HCO3-, CO3-2,or OH- will increase kH.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Im using caribbean sea flora max and the rock is the same stuff they make driveways out of just 40 and 10 lb sizes like in my signature

SunSun Pimp #57

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those could be limestone rocks. If so, they will increase both the KH and the GH as they very slowly dissolve in the water. They are probably a mix of calcium carbonate (limestone) with some magnesium carbonate mixed in.

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Those could be limestone rocks. If so, they will increase both the KH and the GH as they very slowly dissolve in the water. They are probably a mix of calcium carbonate (limestone) with some magnesium carbonate mixed in.
The white streaks in the rocks look like marble which is CaCO3. This will increase both GH and kH.
I've also had problems with Carib Sea products. I use Eco Complete and it was contaminated with CaCO3.
If you read the description it says something like "will not continuously change the KH." Meaning that after a while, all the CaCO3 dissolves and it is then inert.
The people at Carib Sea were nice and said they would replace the Eco Compete free of charge. Since my take was already up and running, I wasn't going to do that.
If you have a CO2 controller, just set it to a pH to about 6.5 - 6.8. and do weekly water changes. Over time the CaCO3 will dissolve and the kH will stabilize. You can also just do weekly water changes but this will take longer.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I took the rocks out with 5 gallons of water, its been three hours and have noticed a decrease in the numbers. I will wait a couple of days and test again.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Put some white vinegar on the rocks once they've dried off. If you see bubbling, they're the type to increase your GH/KH.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode