ammonia question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ammonia question

Greeting planted tankers. I have a question I am hoping someone can help me clear up. I have a 30 gallon tank that I set up in the first week of August. This tank currently has 9 tetras in it and a few pieces of driftwood. When I test my water I have high ammonia but zero nitrates or nitrites. If this because the nitrifying bacteria has not fully established a large enough colony to deal with the bioload? My ammonia readings are 8 ppm using Mardel test strips, and 4 ppm using an API liquid reagent test, both of which are new and they both give normal readings on my other tanks. Because of this, I do not think it is a bad test kit/strips/reagents. I may be wrong about this, so I came to the place where people who know more than me can be found. Thanks for your help!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You've got rotting something in there that shortly will include your fish.
Unfortunately the needed water change might kill the fish.
In any event get them out of that water.

Use the search feature to pull up any of the hundreds of posts on cycling a fish tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You've got rotting something in there that shortly will include your fish.
Unfortunately the needed water change might kill the fish.
In any event get them out of that water.

Use the search feature to pull up any of the hundreds of posts on cycling a fish tank.
That was the first thing I thought as well: I figured that there was a dead fish in the tank. I pulled all of driftwood out (only four smallish pieces) and found no casualties; all nine tetras are accounted for. I have not lost any fish, and they appear to be doing well. There appear to be no signs of stress, and all of the fishes are eating. I just took another reading tonight, and with the Mardel test strips I had an ammonia level of 2.0 ppm. Using the API liquid reagent ammonia test I got a reading of 1.0 ppm. Nitrates and nitrites test at 0.0 ppm using both tests. Also worth noting; the water in this tank was slightly cloudy this morning. By the time I turned the lights off tonight the cloudiness completely disappeared. As a reference, the temp in my tank is 74 degrees F, and pH is at 6.1.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
you have other tanks running? why don't u use some of the other tank filter media to seed ur filter? tank will be instant cycle...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetworks View Post
That was the first thing I thought as well: I figured that there was a dead fish in the tank. I pulled all of driftwood out (only four smallish pieces) and found no casualties; all nine tetras are accounted for. I have not lost any fish, and they appear to be doing well. There appear to be no signs of stress, and all of the fishes are eating. I just took another reading tonight, and with the Mardel test strips I had an ammonia level of 2.0 ppm. Using the API liquid reagent ammonia test I got a reading of 1.0 ppm. Nitrates and nitrites test at 0.0 ppm using both tests. Also worth noting; the water in this tank was slightly cloudy this morning. By the time I turned the lights off tonight the cloudiness completely disappeared. As a reference, the temp in my tank is 74 degrees F, and pH is at 6.1.
If your reading were as you claim then your tank is now cycled.... Cloudy water means bacteria and when you go from high ammonia to no ammonia and from no nitrates to having nitrates then your tank is done... Especially when the cloudy water goes away means there isn't a bacteria bloom anymore= cycled tank

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
you have other tanks running? why don't u use some of the other tank filter media to seed ur filter? tank will be instant cycle...
I did do this- I use the same filters for most of my tanks, and I used old filter media in addition to some substrate from an established tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
If your reading were as you claim then your tank is now cycled.... Cloudy water means bacteria and when you go from high ammonia to no ammonia and from no nitrates to having nitrates then your tank is done... Especially when the cloudy water goes away means there isn't a bacteria bloom anymore= cycled tank.
The cloudy water is gone today; it was only like that for about three days total. I tested my ammonia/nitrites/nitrates today, and now all register zero on both the Mardel test strips and my API liquid reagent test kit. It seemed odd that I had a high ammonia reading and no reading at all on either nitrites or nitrates. I will just test it again tomorrow and see what my nitrates read then.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetworks View Post
I did do this- I use the same filters for most of my tanks, and I used old filter media in addition to some substrate from an established tank.

The cloudy water is gone today; it was only like that for about three days total. I tested my ammonia/nitrites/nitrates today, and now all register zero on both the Mardel test strips and my API liquid reagent test kit. It seemed odd that I had a high ammonia reading and no reading at all on either nitrites or nitrates. I will just test it again tomorrow and see what my nitrates read then.
When you have everything at 0 its because the bacteria aren't there and there is no ammonia. Once the bacteria break down the ammonia it turns into nitrite then nitrate when all is 0 exept nitrate your good... Again cloudy water is bacteria bloom, once its not cloudy its because they are established

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ur fish didnt die or become stressed because the low ph detoxified ur ammonia.. nitrifying bacteria also is not very efficient below 6.5 ph. So its kinda double edged sword. Glad everything is ok

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
When you have everything at 0 its because the bacteria aren't there and there is no ammonia. Once the bacteria break down the ammonia it turns into nitrite then nitrate when all is 0 exept nitrate your good... Again cloudy water is bacteria bloom, once its not cloudy its because they are established
If his tank is planted then he may not get a nitrate reading. (Or ammonia for that matter depending on the plant biomass)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode