Need help with weird test results. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need help with weird test results.

Well apparently our city water has changed a bit. Here's what I get out of the tap.

ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
pH 7.6

Over a month ago a friend gave me all his fish. I knew i'd have some kind of mini cycle. But I also changed out my gravel and put in sand. I put a bunch of the old gravel in to some knee highs in the back of the tank for a month. I have quite a bit of java moss in there and some mopani wood and some new oak wood and rocks in there and a few decs from the old tank as well. Had to take out the anubias and java ferns due to the ba's eating them. lol

So any way i've been doing water changes every few days to get through this.

Only lost two of his fish. The molly I lost on the first night and the pleco a week later. They didn't have the best water and he had to catch them with his hands to get them in a container for me so that didn't help them. But the rest are fine. Eating great and swimming fine.

My readings last night were:
Ammonia 1
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
PH 6.8

So I did a 40% water change

And this morning I did another water change and the readings after wards were:
Ammonia .50
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40
PH 7.2

Before all the new fish which I knew were too many at once but had no choice really as I only had the 55 gal tank going and his tank was on the back of his trailer as he was moving right then so I had to take them. But my readings were usually about:
Ammonia was just a trace
Nitrites 0
Nitrates were just a round 20
ph 7.6

Usually I only did top offs in that tank cause I didn't have many fish in there before.

Please tell me what is going on and what I can do?

About all I have access to is aqua safe for my conditioner.

Also I have had extra filter pads in the 55 gal filter for about a year.

I have recently fallen in love with endlers and was planning on getting some very soon. I have set up my 10 gal and my 2.5 gal and my 1.5 gal tanks for them.

All three of the new tanks (10, 2.5, 1.5) pretty much have the same readings. There's no fish in them as I was planning on taking out the extra filters from the 55 gal and adding some of the sand from the 55 gal to cycle them. I have java moss and java ferns and anubias and sand in all 3 of them and the plants came from the 55 gal. Here are the readings for them:

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 40
PH 7.2

Could the plants from the 55 gal be enough to start cycling these? When should I add the filter media and sand over to these tanks? Will that be enough to kinda instant cycle the tanks? Should I wait till I have the fish to add the media and sand? And do a big water change before putting the fish in when they get here? Haven't ordered the fish yet so I can put that off for a bit if I really need to.

I know it's alot of questions but any help would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well was wondering if my test kit was just old but I just finished testing water from a gallon jug of puritan water and here's the results for that.

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0 or very very close to 0
PH 6.4

So I'm thinking my results are pretty accurate for all my other tests including the tap water test in which case my city has some explaining to do.

But hoping you all can make heads or tails of whats going on with my water and all for the tanks.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode