CSM+B Mixed Solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
CSM+B Mixed Solution

I everyone I had a quick question.....I mix 1 tbsp and then some of CSM+B into 250ml of distilled water. I take 15ml of mix and dump it into the tank. What do you guys do with the rest of the solution? Dump it..refridgerate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keep it in the refrigerator - it will last quite a long time. I always shake the bottle vigorously before I dose.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:02 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I keep mine in a dark medicine bottle in my tank stand where it gets limited ambient light. As I use it near-daily, I want to keep it close.

Oh, and I mixed mine 2 tbsp per 250 ml so I didn't have to dose as much. So, my batch will need to last longer. I guess if the plants stop reacting positively to the daily dosing, I'll know it's time for a new batch.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use old Flourish bottles, 250mL, to mix it up since they are dark adn don't let light in.

15mL? that's a ton!! I dose 5mL at a time, 3 times a week in my 75gallon.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
15ml is a lot with that concentration. I does 4ml every 3 days of 1tblspoon mixed in 500ml and that is reaching the algae point for me. But again all tanks are different. In my last tank I could dose twice that with no problems.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

Speaking of mixes, does anyone follow Greg Watson's recipe (besides me) -

1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and
1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate in 1/2 litre of water.

I use this recipe on my 55 by adding 5 mL daily.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
I keep mine in a dark medicine bottle in my tank stand where it gets limited ambient light. As I use it near-daily, I want to keep it close.

Oh, and I mixed mine 2 tbsp per 250 ml so I didn't have to dose as much. So, my batch will need to last longer. I guess if the plants stop reacting positively to the daily dosing, I'll know it's time for a new batch.
Can you explain in more detail in what you look for when plants no longer react positively? BTW does any one get any of that brown powdery stuff on the bottom? No matter how much i shake- it doesnt dilute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

Are all the the ferts OK to be stored in solution form in 250ml of water?
ie will they lose their potency?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater3
Are all the the ferts OK to be stored in solution form in 250ml of water?
ie will they lose their potency?
Not in the short term. Over a very long period of time, pehaps. Just make sure to keep it in a dark container and in a cool location. Some people even keep it cold, which makes sense, but a tad inconvenient. Making small batches at a time, we shouldn't need to take any added precautions other than keeping it from prolongued exposure to light.

Marc, you're probably at the point of saturation for one or more of the chemicals in the fertilizer which is why it won't dissolve any further. 2T CSM+B is concentrated, I see no benefit over 1T in 250ml, you'll still only be using a little and the batch should last you quite a while. I'm using 9 ml per dose, 4 times a week, which should last me about 7 weeks for my 90 gallon tank. A fresh batch every 7 weeks isn't bad.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisGuy
Speaking of mixes, does anyone follow Greg Watson's recipe (besides me) -

1 tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B and
1 tablespoon of Magnesium Sulfate in 1/2 litre of water.

I use this recipe on my 55 by adding 5 mL daily.

I use this recipe, or one very similar. I mixed 1/2 TBSP of CSM+B(extra Fe) with 1/2 TBSP Epsom Salt in 250 mL H2o. I add about 1 capful (I figure is about 1-2 mL) every other day (20 gal). I just started this out, so if I see deficiencies I'll up it. Seems to be a good recipe though.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Can you explain in more detail in what you look for when plants no longer react positively? BTW does any one get any of that brown powdery stuff on the bottom? No matter how much i shake- it doesnt dilute.
First, a correction. Looking back at my notes last night, I only mixed 1 Tsp in my 250 ml, not 2 Tsp. In either case, I was looking for a slightly higher concentration, so I could use my graduated 1 lm dropper and not have to add 5+ droppers full per day.

Unfortunately, I can give no detail on what to look for, because I haven't hit that point yet. I'm expecting to be able to tell tha the new growth has really slowed down or the coloration has changed or some such.

As to stuff at the bottom of my bottle, I can't say that I've actually ever looked at it that closely.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
I use this recipe, or one very similar. I mixed 1/2 TBSP of CSM+B(extra Fe) with 1/2 TBSP Epsom Salt in 250 mL H2o. I add about 1 capful (I figure is about 1-2 mL) every other day (20 gal). I just started this out, so if I see deficiencies I'll up it. Seems to be a good recipe though.
Adding Magnesium Sulfate would depend on the water your useing. For me it's no longer added since my tap has high TDS. This fert requirement is handeled with the weekly water change. If the GH/KH creep beyond target I do add some Magnesium Sulfate when cutting the tap water change with RO water. Make sure what your source water has in it before making decisions on want to add for plant uptake.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Well, I see what you're saying. I use about 80-90% bottled water (pH=7, gH/kH~ 1 mixed with the local tap water(pH=8.2, gH=21, kH=22). The water readings last night were as follows:
pH= 7.2
kH= 6 dkH
gH= 8 dGH
Ammonia= 0
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate= 10-15
Phosphate = 1.0

I'd like to get the nitrate lower, but I just put the plants in there 2 days ago and finally got the CO2 working yesterday, coupled with 110W of CFs. Some of the plants were in bad shape when I got them in the mail, but they'll probably recover in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzr750r1
Adding Magnesium Sulfate would depend on the water your useing. For me it's no longer added since my tap has high TDS. This fert requirement is handeled with the weekly water change. If the GH/KH creep beyond target I do add some Magnesium Sulfate when cutting the tap water change with RO water. Make sure what your source water has in it before making decisions on want to add for plant uptake.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your in good shape. Once the CO2 is around 30ppm your PH will drop. The NO3 and PO4 will be used. Since your using mostly bottled water for changes youll need the Magnesium Sulfate. Make sure your on top of the macros so they dont bottom out.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was wondering how much CSM+B I should be dosing daily in my 75 gallon. I am mixing 1 tablespoon to make a 250ml solution. I don't mind overdosing as long as it doesn't kill my shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode