micros abundant in tapwater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
micros abundant in tapwater?

so without having the proper information on hand, I'd always assumed my tapwater was pretty hard because of its relatively high pH (8.2 from the tap) I've just received a water quality report from my water station, and it turns out its not that hard after all... the interesting thing is the things they measure are things that we have a direct interest in knowing the concentration of for dosing micro and macro nutrients... I know that several have said save your money on traces, but could the same be true for micros in some cases? does anyone have a link to a suggested level for micros in addition to macros and traces? also interesting is that my water comes from a pumping station that draws water from 6 wells. they have the analysis for each individual well and the cumulative results after treatment and pipe travel to a tap. of the 6 wells, the highest pH is 6.2 and the lowest is 6.1... all are extremely soft with almost no alkalinity. once they get to the tap, however, the water is a pH of 8.1 (avg on report) although the kh and gh haven't really increased much. what is happening to the water to boost the ph so much?

here are the numbers, all in mg/L or ppm except where noted:
first column is tap, second is median well value (all wells are almost identical)

cadmium <0.004 0.004
chromium <0.001 <0.001
copper <0.009 <0.009
lead <0.001 <0.001
manganese <0.013 <0.013
nickel <0.013 <0.013
zinc 0.011 0.016
iron 0.066 0.136
fluoride 0.77 <0.061
chloride 16.3 14.3
phosphates 0.22 0.19
sulfates <1.7 3
hardness(CaCO3) 66 48
cyanide <0.006 <0.006
total dissolved solids 130 124
pH SU 8.1 6.2
alkalinity 54 50
nitrates 2.7 3.3
nitrites <0.028 <0.028
conductivity mOHM 195 164
*NaCl 25.0 ml
*AgNO3 24.5 ml
*Normality 0.0144 N

*I'm not sure what these are supposed to mean... anyone got any ideas?

why are alkalinity and CaCO3 hardness separated? what's happening with the pH? the increase in fluoride makes it look like there's treatment happening between the wells and the tap, but why is the pH up so drastically from a somewhat small rise in CaCO3, and virtually no change in alkalinity?

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqsy
what is happening to the water to boost the ph so much?

here are the numbers, all in mg/L or ppm except where noted:
first column is tap, second is median well value (all wells are almost identical)

cadmium <0.004 0.004
chromium <0.001 <0.001
copper <0.009 <0.009
lead <0.001 <0.001
manganese <0.013 <0.013
nickel <0.013 <0.013
zinc 0.011 0.016
iron 0.066 0.136
fluoride 0.77 <0.061
chloride 16.3 14.3
phosphates 0.22 0.19
sulfates <1.7 3
hardness(CaCO3) 66 48
cyanide <0.006 <0.006
total dissolved solids 130 124
pH SU 8.1 6.2
alkalinity 54 50
nitrates 2.7 3.3
nitrites <0.028 <0.028
conductivity mOHM 195 164
*NaCl 25.0 ml
*AgNO3 24.5 ml
*Normality 0.0144 N

*I'm not sure what these are supposed to mean... anyone got any ideas?

why are alkalinity and CaCO3 hardness separated? what's happening with the pH? the increase in fluoride makes it look like there's treatment happening between the wells and the tap, but why is the pH up so drastically from a somewhat small rise in CaCO3, and virtually no change in alkalinity?

Oqsy
pH is very sensitive - especially in soft water. Any change in the level of dissolved CO2 will change the pH. It seems backward that it would go up after removal from the well, but if you take it out of your tap and let it sit for 24 hours it should come back down (CO2 equilibrates with the air).

GH and KH are two separate things, but both are measured as CaCO3 - so alkalinity is KH and hardness is GH.

There is water treatment between the well and the pipes to your house - depending on the source it may be just adding fluoride and a chlorine source (Cl2 or chloramine). Around here they harvest water from local rivers, so more treatment is needed (remove sediment, organics, bacteria).

Your last three (*) items seem to be out of context. The third one is a concentration - Normality is one way to measure acid concentrations for a titration. They could be just reporting the solutions used to do the measurements?? If I was titrating to measure chloride ions, I'd use a silver nitrate solution. Not sure how an NaCl solution would be used.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode