STUCK! Pls help identify deficiency, photos provided. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
STUCK! Pls help identify deficiency, photos provided.

Hi guys, below is my spec. Please see picture of the dwarf sags, i am really stuck as to the cause and what to do next. Thanks!

Spec:
-14G biocube completely modded to use eheim classic canister filter
-38W T5 lighting 6700k
-eco-complete
-pressurized co2 at 1.5bubble/sec with greenleaf inline diffuser, dropchecker almost yellow
-Daily dosing of: 2ml tropica plant nutrition+, 1ml of flourish iron. Nitrate test indicates 20-40ppm (dark orange).

tropica plant nutrition+ breakdown (2nd column)

My dwarf sags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
test your Kh and GH to see if its changing dramatically within days. i had nothing grew in Eco complete for me, i don't care what ever other say. my plants looked similar to your and then they would simply melt away.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
How long have you noticed this? And be sure they're not planted too deep in the substrate.

Andy

If you ate or wore clothes today, thank a farmer

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Once I cut the roots too short on my dwarf sag, and the leaves turned yellow like in the pics and fell off.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I had bad luck with dwarf Sag and it seemed to die off as soon as I planted it, then 6 months later a big patch started growing, so it could be light.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some additional info:

1) this is not a new tank, the eco-complete has been in the tank for over a year, it works great (see my sig for the old tank before i rescaped)

2) the dwarf sags were planted about 3+ weeks ago, i only planted 1-2 plants, and it managed to grow and spread to a carpet but never looked healthy and now it is getting even worse. The tank setup dosing/params remained the same. The only change i did was lowering the light by removing the leg and putting it directly on the tank, but that was after the dwarf sags are already bad. Thinking maybe not enough light.

3) I really dont think it has anything to do with the way i planted, i grew dwarf sags in almost all my tanks and know how to plant them properly by pulling it up just the white is showing after planting.

Can anyone look at the picture and identify what type of deficiency?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Same thing happened to my dwarf sag, and entire plants would die off pretty quickly. I have no idea of the cause either.

-VeeSe

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i guess i will answer my own question. It's potassium deficiency. With everything else remain the same, i set my bubble magus to dose 2ml of potassium(seachem) daily. And the dwarf sag came back to live within 1 week. Healthy green and growing nicely now.

I guess the potassium in the tropica nutrient plus isnt sufficient. It also explains why i never had this problem in my old tanks, as I used individual seachem fertz instead of tropica's all-in-one.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Mine did this until I added root tabs, not seen it since

SunSun Pimp #57

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode