General questions from a co2 newb - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
General questions from a co2 newb

I have begun to buy parts for my pressurized co2 set up that I am putting together. It is an ongoing project that will be pieced together as budget (and deals) will allow. But in the mean time I have a few very basic questions I want to ask.

What water parameters (other than the usual ammonis, nitrites, nitrates, ph) need to be monitored?
How do test for co2 ppm? I have never seen a test kit for it at the lfs.
Is there any other equipment needed other than the co2 system? I have heard people talking about drop checkers, etc. Is that required? What about ph monitors/controllers?
Any other advice you can give about the day to day operation of a co2 injected tank would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have begun to buy parts for my pressurized co2 set up that I am putting together. It is an ongoing project that will be pieced together as budget (and deals) will allow. But in the mean time I have a few very basic questions I want to ask.

What water parameters (other than the usual ammonis, nitrites, nitrates, ph) need to be monitored?

ph is good to monitor (at least in the beggining) to not overdoit

How do test for co2 ppm? I have never seen a test kit for it at the lfs.
Is there any other equipment needed other than the co2 system? I have heard people talking about drop checkers, etc. Is that required? What about ph monitors/controllers?

to measure co2 use DC. ph monitors forget, not really needed

Any other advice you can give about the day to day operation of a co2 injected tank would be appreciated.

well , if you put all right, not really much to do except here and there check bubble rate or co2 tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thank you for the reply. After posting that I did a little more reading on drop checkers. It seems like an easy way of keeping levels in check. One thing I am not sure about is if it something that stays in the tank all the time, or just something you use when you want to test. The article I read said to put the liquid in it and submerge it for 24 hours or something along those lines.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
There is a lot of information here on how to use a drop checker correctly. You need to use made up 4 KH water rather than tank water because tank water has a lot of impurities in it that might keep you from dosing CO 2 efficiently. It is left in the tank permanently unless you notice the solution isn't reading properly or is covered with algae and needs cleaning or solution replacement. Place it where there is water movement but away from the source of CO2 enrichment otherwise you would probably be under using the CO2.

Otherwise just bump the CO2 up a bit every couple days and watch the fish. When you bump up the CO2 be sure to do it on a day you can check the tank often as it might take 10 minutes or 4 hours to show up as an excess.

If you haven't a drop checker you can easily make one, there are oodles of threads on how to do so on the web and here. All you need to do is make up some tiny clear thing that can hold a few drops of water separate from the tank water with an air interface.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode