Soft water. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soft water.

Testing the water coming out of my tap, aswell as the water in both tanks I find that KH/PH are both quite low. Very low infact.

Instead of using up loads and loads of product, baking soda (which can do harm aswell as good), or changing my whole water change scedual is it possible to get consistant results by putting crushed coral in the filter?

I've heard many pros and cons to doing that, is it any better than additives?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If your tap water has a pH much below 7 I wonder if you have copper plumbing. Low pH water can erode copper plumbing pretty fast.

Coral is calcium carbonate, which dissolves in water, but slowly. When you add it to the filter it adds calcium carbonate to the water, raising both the GH and KH. But, you have no control over how high it goes. If you do weekly 50% water changes, you can limit the increase in KH and GH to twice what it is in one week, so that might be a good way to use coral.

You only need a KH of 1 to 2 dKH to buffer the water against unstable pH due to CO2, so there aren't many good reasons to raise it any more.

Have you checked your water company to verify that they deliver low pH water?

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
JWA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can only vouch for what works for me. I have a low-tech 55 gallon tank with very soft tap water. After experimenting for a while I found that adding 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda at my every two weeks water change works great with no problems. I have been doing this now for over two years so I don't really see down side to this.
As I said it works for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode