Seachem pH Alert Series - have you tried it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem pH Alert Series - have you tried it?

Does anyone have any experience with the Seachem pH alert series?
I am just wondering how accurate they are.
Which pH kit would you guys recommend?

Ive tried API and Aqua one series and both show a reading of 6.8 and 6.4 respectively.
Although they are not off by much I dont really know which one is correct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 15gallon planted aquarium blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well you could look up how to make reference solutions to measure properly.. or buy a digital probe and calibrate it often.
I am also interested in the ph alert series.. so i'd love to know... titration or drop test kits arent very accurate. They just give us an idea.. too much human error and external factors play a role in how they read.

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Question: Why is it you think you need to monitor your pH constantly?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

cause i can that's pretty much the basis of my hobby. i TOTALLY enjoy it. right down to scraping algae or nurturing a sick fish or unhealthy plant.
why monitor ph? why not? it gives me more info on what's happening on a regular basis at a glance not that im worried about it. just wanna see it

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well for me i use co2 injection and monitoring ph is vital

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

I have a three place digital pH meter that is regularly calibrated and I never use it on my planted tank water!
I have a CO2 controller and I set it for a CO2 level of about 20 ppm. I check it using a calibrated drop checker. If my drop checker is green and my CO2 level is steady, My pH is always OK!

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emboli View Post
Well for me i use co2 injection and monitoring Ph is vital

Not vital what so ever if you are starting with a good Ph. Watch your fish. Watch your plants.

I inject co2 in all of my tanks. I know that my Ph is good in all of my tanks. Injecting co2 changes my Ph while injecting, of course. It is not anything to worry about though. Fluctuations are expected while injecting.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Problem is I have two test kits with different readings. One says 6.1 other says 6.8. I have Ada soil so I'm confident it's 6.1. I also have crs that are sensitive to low ph as it melts their calcium hardened carapace. 6.1 is okay but if I inject too much co2 it may drop to 5.x and I wanted something to monitor it with. My drop checker doesn't work and is always orange even tho I haven't started co2 yet. I suspect it's my low kh but I rather not dose with bicarbonate as it has salt and will raise my gh

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emboli View Post
My drop checker doesn't work and is always orange even tho I haven't started co2 yet.
4dkh water is a lot cheaper than a PH monitor
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If your drop checker is orange you are using the wrong pH reagent. API pH reagent is the one to use, or any similar one that is blue at pH of 7.2 and yellow at a pH of 6. I know CO2 is not good with shrimp, especially if you want them to breed, but I'm not so sure that pH is a problem. The Shrimp forum would be a good place to get an answer to that.

Hoppy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

did you fill the drop checker with 4 dkh water before or after you put the ph reagent in it? if not the reagent might stay orange!!!

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I used the solution that came with the kit :p it's probably not accurate

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

where did u get the kit? if its from [Ebay Link Removed] you have to add a solution to it.. its jsut ph reagent which is orange

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh I just checked the solution at home.
The manual tells me to add the pH solution that came with the vial to a sample of my tank water. mix it up and put it in the drop checker.

I know my tank water is kH 0 so the solution would have been 0kH. Should i start again with a 4dkH solution?
Will it still work with my tank which has 0dKH?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

well a 0dkh tank needs to be fixed.. u need at least 1 dkh for c02 buffering.. kh helps with carbonic acid buildup.....

so ur reagent most likely could be staying orange for that reason.. 4 dkh is the most accurate solution that has been found.. 3 and it will prematurely turn yellow. 5 and it won't turn green until u almost have too much ( by most standards) mineruns yellow at 60-80 ppm c02 but i've got a little practice under my belt. " a little practice" i still dont understand the whole system but i know how to keep fishies and plants happy with high c02 now

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode