Adding Airstore at night - pitfalls? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Adding Airstore at night - pitfalls?

my 77 is getting lusher by the day and while I would not classify it as heavily planted - I would say reasonably densely planted. (here is a fast snap)...

Well... here are the latest test results....

kh 70ppm (3.92 degrees)
gh 140ppm (7.84 degrees)
PH 6.7 to 6.8

My regular water out of the tap is PH 7.6

Plants are doing well and growing nicely but very very little to no pearling... Been dosing and testing to maintain as follows... (with 50% weekly W/C), lights on 12 hour timer 10am to 10pm.

Nitrates 5-10 ppm
Phosphates 0.5-1.0 ppm
Iron 0.1-0.3 ppm
Potassium 10-20 ppm

hopefully that should suffice the preliminary information...

NOW to my question... I have noticed in the morning the fish seem a bit stressed and hovering to the surface. I had a few fish deaths as well - all happening at night (2 blue rams and 1 angel) - all fish were not really showing any obvious signs of illness the days before. I am assuming the fish load surpasses the plants ability to produce enough oxygen to keep them alive through the night.

I have added a small air pump underneath the cabinet - hooked to a separate timer. It comes on at night at 2am, 4am, 6am, and 8am - each time the pump runs for 30 minutes and stops. I have had this running now like this for 2 nights now and in the morning the fish are not at the surface anymore etc...

However I do fear Algae - Dennerle used to suggest that o2 levels be maintained at 2.5 - 3.5 mg/l in the morning and rise to 3.5 - 6 mg/l by evening when the plants are "pumping it out" so to speak. It was thought that levels of 8mg/l or higher could start to produce algae... like trickle filters increasing the redox potential thus making trace elements unavailable and destroy vitamins etc... (oxidizing excess bivalent iron back to trivalent etc... mind you with the amount of Flourite I got in there this may not be a problem?)

Now this may be kinda old thinking but is it still relevant? Will my running the airstone as above cause me some grief in the algae department in the future?

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Member # 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Why not just simply turn your C02 off @ night? that would solve the problem without more gadgets. plug controller into timer, lights out, C02 off.

Craig

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

plug controller into timer, lights out, C02 off and PH goes up?

My thinking was that ... the CO2 only comes on when the PH rises as per the controller... but the fish consume the O2 all night while the plants are not producing it (or are actually partially consuming O2 themselves)...

I tried hooking up the fish to the timer but they refused vehemently... little buggers:-)

Pimp Member # 112

---

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftica
I tried hooking up the fish to the timer but they refused vehemently... little buggers:-)
LOL!!

I've never heard that high O2 levels give you algae. Doesn't really make sense since when your plants are pearling the water is O2 saturated. Don't know the O2 mg/l saturation of water but probably higher than 8... and I've never noticed an increase in algae because of that.

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

Aftica, you might be interested in Jeff Senske's post in this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=aerate+night
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

Aftica, I found I had to do the exact same thing as you, only the timer goes on for two intervals of 30 minuets at night. Before the fish were at the top, now, not anymore.
I think it has a bit to do with bio load. Mine is a fairly well stocked tank, and thus maybe higher demands on the O2. As such, I don't think I will ever get pearling. The plants are dense, and doing great, but I think the bioload is high enough to mitigate any chance of pearling.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks to all so far that have replied...

wantplantsnotwork: Perhaps 2 times a night is enough - I tried 4 times as a starting point but I will set it for 3 tonight and let that go for a few nights and if all ok perhaps I will leave it there just to be sure... Glad to hear it is working for you - I must admit the fish don't lie... they were happy the last 2 mornings.

Rob; Thanks for that link to that thread... Jeff Senske's posts are interesting to say the least. I have the deepest admiration and respect for Amano when it comes to planted tanks... it sounds good to me:-)

Pimp Member # 112

---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode