Dosing Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Dosing Help

Hi:

I am a noob and have a 90 gallon planted tank with pressurized CO2.

I started fertilizing recently using the Aquariumfertilizer.com product "Macro Micro Nutrient Mix" which contains equal parts of KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4, Plantex CSM+B.

Further research revealed that I needed to add Phosphate. I purchased MonoPotassium Phosphate (MKP).

Even further research revealed that I should be doing the EI method that requires more Nitrate. I purchased some KNO3 and K2SO4.

Since I do not want to waste my Macro Micro Nutient Mix, how can I dose the following products in my 90 gallon to equate the EI dosing:

1. Macro Micro Mix: KNO3+K2SO4+MgSO4+CSM+B
2. Mono Potassium Phosphate: MKP
3. Potassium Nitrate: KNO3
4. Potassium Sulfate: K2SO4

I will do a weekly 50% WC.

Thanks!

Last edited by RainSong; 08-19-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
just throw more in there than you need if your plants are happy... so is your tank generally speaking.u wont need #4 on the list. i dont know the exact nutrient level of the fert mix but i would say you could easilly add 1/4- 1/2 of a tsp of KNO3 and 1/16 - 1/8 of a tsp of MKP and be fine.
once again healthy plants will equal a happy algae free tank

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Thanks!

Based on the charts/compositions etc., I figured:

2 Tsp Macro Micro
1 Tsp KNO3
1/4 Tsp MKP

These levels are for a 100 Gallon tank (mine is 90 Gal). Since too much does not hurt, I figure I can start with this and back off as I take measurements over time.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
To be safe, breaking down the products, you can do:

1 tsp KNO3
1/4 tsp KSO4
1/4 tsp KH2PO4
1/4 tsp Micro

It sounds like you have too many mixes. The above doses (3x per week) are more than what you'd need. Note that nitrates are 4x anything else. As long as you keep to this ratio, you're fine. The K2SO4 may not be necessary for you, but it won't hurt.

And make sure you max out your CO2, and that your lighting is as high as you think it is, or most of the added nutrients will be useless.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
dont forget you CANT dose micro and macro on same day!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
dont forget you CANT dose micro and macro on same day!!
I'm not so sure that's true. If you just dose a little less macro each day and spread it out over a week it's fine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
I'm not so sure that's true. If you just dose a little less macro each day and spread it out over a week it's fine.
if you dose both on the same day the iron will parcipitate(sp) out of solution. you will get basically flakes or chunks of stuff floating around that wont disolve. there is a reason the EI method tells you to dose micros and macros on difrent days.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I dose liquid EI. No problems. I don't think it's an issue..you're dissolving those nutrients into a LOT of liquid. And I also out of curiosity did a test. I made a 1ppm solution of phosphate...Added my Iron formula to it and nothing happened. Then did the reverse and added the 1ppm solution ml by ml to some iron solution and got minimal reaction. Then I took some of my seachem ph neutral powder and sprinkled it in. I instantly got a result the solution became very hazy and fizzed a bit. In short it takes a BIG amount of phosphates to unchelate metals. I would say it's safe to dose both on the same day if you just let one or the other dissolve first or even dose on separate sides of the tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
I dose liquid EI. No problems. I don't think it's an issue..you're dissolving those nutrients into a LOT of liquid. And I also out of curiosity did a test. I made a 1ppm solution of phosphate...Added my Iron formula to it and nothing happened. Then did the reverse and added the 1ppm solution ml by ml to some iron solution and got minimal reaction. Then I took some of my seachem ph neutral powder and sprinkled it in. I instantly got a result the solution became very hazy and fizzed a bit. In short it takes a BIG amount of phosphates to unchelate metals. I would say it's safe to dose both on the same day if you just let one or the other dissolve first or even dose on separate sides of the tank.
your not dosing EI if your dosing everything in 1 shot.
and why would tom barr (the man who helped develop EI) say dont do this because it comes out of solution?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...tyle-EI-dosing

anyways. I think it's just a really bad myth everyone is adhering to. The chemistry is right. But the scale is all wrong. When you dose EI you're maybe raising phos to about 3-4ppm each time. If you let it dissolve you'll be fine. I can prove this to you if you'd like using actual phos solution and dosing them. The idea is that phosphate will make the chelated metals precipitate. However reactions depend on concentration. When you dissolve something to something infinitesimally small like to 3-4 ppm. You're not going to see a reaction because the probability of the reagents coming in contact with each other are close to nothing. That means if you just wait for component X to dissolve and distribute itself before adding component Y you should have no problem. Likewise if you dose on separate sides of the tank you shouldn't encounter any issues. The key here is to keep them separate until they've diluted themselves to decent proportions.

edit: sorry okay maybe I'm not being helpful. For a beginner following preset directions is fine. There's little chance of error. But I'm just pointing out an exception to the rule that can be largely ignored.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:44 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Dosing macros and micros on different days is more a function of keeping track of what you're doing, and when. You can dose them on the same day. You can dose them at the same time. Just don't store them together and you're fine.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can store micros and macros together. I make this stuff

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm

and it works great. You get the E300 and E202 from brewers/wine makers supply.

I'm very pleased to be here. Let's face it, at my age I'm very pleased to be anywhere.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode