• 2 Post By plantbrain
  • 2 Post By 2in10
  • 2 Post By plantbrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
PPS pro dosing Pros and Cons

I am looking to start using the PPS Pro dosing regimen once I use up the Seachem products I have. I like the idea of dosing the necessary minerals daily because of my reef tank experiences. Please let me know of the pros and cons of this dosing regime.

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been using PPS Pro for several months now. The daily dosing helps for people like me who can't remember if they dosed yesterday. The plants are doing well. I did boost the kh2poh (phosphorus) in the recipe though. I was getting slight green spot algae and that indicates a need for more phosphorus. I still do 33 % water changes, sometimes 50 % still. I didnt go to this method to eliminate water changes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Daily dosing is fine but you need to reduce the dosing quantity compared to 2 or 3-day/week dosing regimes.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It will be very lean for many aquariums, but fine for some as well. So dose more till you see no added improvement in growth. It's also too lean in terms of PO4, so modify that. Likewise, EI can be done and reduced down, they both add the SAME things, ferts.......... one starts low, the other starts high and then is moved to suit.

Filet-O-Fish and Filet-O-Fish like this.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
I've been using PPS Pro for several months now. The daily dosing helps for people like me who can't remember if they dosed yesterday. The plants are doing well. I did boost the kh2poh (phosphorus) in the recipe though. I was getting slight green spot algae and that indicates a need for more phosphorus. I still do 33 % water changes, sometimes 50 % still. I didnt go to this method to eliminate water changes.
Thank you for the information.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
Daily dosing is fine but you need to reduce the dosing quantity compared to 2 or 3-day/week dosing regimes.
Thank you
davespearin and davespearin like this.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
It will be very lean for many aquariums, but fine for some as well. So dose more till you see no added improvement in growth. It's also too lean in terms of PO4, so modify that. Likewise, EI can be done and reduced down, they both add the SAME things, ferts.......... one starts low, the other starts high and then is moved to suit.
Thank you very much for the comparisons. How much more PO4 would you suggest adding for starters? I was quite surprised at the low amount of PO4 to be added in relation to the other minerals.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Thank you very much for the comparisons. How much more PO4 would you suggest adding for starters? I was quite surprised at the low amount of PO4 to be added in relation to the other minerals.
I dose 5ppm 3x a week, of course as stated, this is non limiting.....but also does not harm, but I seem to be able to grow more species and have larger crowns and better plants than many.

The target is about 0.1ppm for PPS, which is the same as PMDD 8 years before it.

Some do not like GSA which is associated with lower PO4. Some folks add PO4 and get BBA, this is because the CO2 was limiting. If they limited PO4 stronger than the CO2....then they do not get BBA.

Still, the issue was the PO4 and CO2 are not independent, so when non limiting PO4 is added, it highlights their methods and shows they have inadequate CO2. Some do not wish to resolve that horticultural issue, instead, they want to "believe" it's the PO4 fault.

The falsification of this "belief" is the fact I and many others dose PO4 in the 2-5ppm range often........without BBA and have good CO2.

I would add enough PO4 to target at least .4ppm per dose. Maybe more.
My own tanks:

I've sold a few thousand dollar's worth of Starougyne , bred 6 species......raised many shrimp etc in this tank, no algae in 5+ years now.
Pretty simple approach.

I would suggest you read this also for daily dosing:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Do not mix Fe and PO4 together in solution.

I tend to tell folks to focus more on usign LESS light and careful metered control of CO2, then..........they can easily work with nutrients without dependent factors.

Then nutrients are pretty easy.

A good article there on light/CO2:
http://www.tropica.com/advising/tech...and-light.aspx

Read those two really carefully and well, make sure you understand the figures.

Filet-O-Fish and Filet-O-Fish like this.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you very much Tom, great reads indeed.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

After reading and re-reading the the pages Tom linked to and reading the ideas behind PPS-Pro and the EI method I decide to go with the EI method but at half dose for starters. I may make liquid mixes and dose that way or even go to daily dosing if it is warranted.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I suggest liquid dosing. It's way more versatile. I have it in little pump bottles like those fancy high end ferts. If I need more macro I add an extra pump etc. The only problem is that when you're tweaking ferts you have to make a whole new solution. I have 5 one gallon jugs of "0 phos, hi K", "lo nitrate, hi phos hi K", " 0 nitrate, hi phos, med K" and so forth.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I figured I would mix the ferts in with the top off water in the morning to start until I find out what works.

Canon Pimp Club #041

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode