Daily temperature fluctuations? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Daily temperature fluctuations?

I live in a hot area in a house with piss poor insulation. So I bought my first tank knowing that a heater wasn't going to be needed till around October. However my temperature does fluctuate every day. Its really consistent. All day my tank is at 80, except in the late afternoon when it reaches 82 for a couple hours. Then it goes back to 80, and eventually fades down to 78 or 79 at about 11pm. It stays there and slowly climbs back up to 80 as the sun rises. It really is a slow transition between temperatures. Its also very very consistent. But I know temperature fluctuation can harm fish. Will this pattern affect my fish until I can get a heater? Should I shoot for a heater before anything else? I was going to get a light fixture and some plants before I got a heater. But I can wait on the light fixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think much would depend on what fishes are being kept.
I don't think daily three or four degree temp change would be too bad but my expierience has indicated that fishes like corydoras and more than a few tetra species actually do better at lower temps with possible exception of cardinal's and perhaps rummy nose.
Can only speak from my own expierience's but most of the tera's I keep,
Flame,neon's,glowlight's,serpae,blackskirt's,seem to thrive and live much longer in temps around 75 degree's F. When kept above 78 degree's for extended period they only seem to last but a few month's perhaps a year.
Same thing with corydoras. I'm near certain that there are plenty who keep tetra's and cory's in much warmer water(to each his/her own), but I have much better luck long term with cooler water. Even my plant's seem to do better at cooler temps .Recent AC malfunction (capacitor) resulted in two day's of near 90 degree water in my tanks, and fishes and plant's did not take it very well despite twice daily frozen litres of water placed in the tanks and water changes with cooler water.(lost around a dozen neon's)
Depending on the light purchased,,this could raise the surface temp in your tank a bit more and as mentioned,depending on species of fishes kept,may or may not have impact.
I have not found many fishes that did not appreciate temps somewhere in the middle of suggested ranges as opposed to upper or lower extremes and I have much better luck with longevity of the fishes I keep than I used to in year's past.
If your tanks water does not get below 65 to 70 degree's F in the cooler months,you may not need a heater unless keeping fishes like Discus or some of the dwarf cichlid's .IMHO
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Four degrees is nothing. Most crappy petstore heaters can't maintain a four degree spread.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Four degrees is nothing. Most crappy petstore heaters can't maintain a four degree spread.
So I shouldnt worry?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, no worries.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My tank does about the same, swings roughly from 78.5F to 82.5F each day. I haven't noticed any ill effects from this, though next time I'm poking around my tank I'm going to adjust the heater up to 80F so it doesn't swing as much.

Once late fall/winter comes and the heat kicks on I'll probably adjust the heater back down a few degrees, though for no particular reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well that's good. A least my fish wont die or anything. The lady at my LFS acted like i was executing them for not maintaining a constant 82
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
Well that's good. A least my fish wont die or anything. The lady at my LFS acted like i was executing them for not maintaining a constant 82
What fish do you have?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
So I shouldnt worry?
Nope.

The only real concern is if the temp starts to creep up too high.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You could add some cooling (small fan blowing) during the time when your lights are on, which probably coincides with the hottest part of the day. This would keep temperatures more even, and what's probably more important, lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
You could add some cooling (small fan blowing) during the time when your lights are on, which probably coincides with the hottest part of the day. This would keep temperatures more even, and what's probably more important, lower.
I run my lights at night to keep from boiling my fish... All temps during the day are without the lights. Theres also already a small fan next to it to help dissipate air...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Nope.

The only real concern is if the temp starts to creep up too high.
What is too high?
I'm not gonna lie, we do get the occasional HOOOOOT day. Normally it goes up to about 84 on those days... Once or twice Its reached 86.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 3 tanks don't have heaters....daily fluctuations between 70-80 degrees. I'm not sure how this happens because I have my thermostat set to 78. POS! No fish deaths.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
My 3 tanks don't have heaters....daily fluctuations between 70-80 degrees. I'm not sure how this happens because I have my thermostat set to 78. POS! No fish deaths.
I would get to the root of this. while three or four degrees as mentioned would not be too stressful for fishes,, Ten degree swings would not suit me nor the fishes I care for.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
As long as the fish isn't shocked by large temp drops .They will easily cope with 1c changes per hour.

My bubbles

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode