dry dosing nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
dry dosing nitrates

Hi
I have a 46 gallon low light moderately planted tank. I just started following the sticky for dry dosing a 40 - 60 gallon tank. Following that dosing plan my nitrate level is still not readable. I am slowly adding more KNO3 and monitoring the nitrate levels. Do I have to worry about the additional potassium I am adding? Can it cause any ill effects?

Thank yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
If you're following the sticky, and you have low light, there's no way you don't have measurable amounts of nitrates. First make sure that the test kit isn't more than a couple years old. The batch number is the month and year of manufacture, and if it's the API test kit, it's printed at the top of the bottle.

Then read the instructions a couple more times. The nitrate test is surprisingly complicated. It's really important to shake the heck out of the bottle before mixing, and then shake the heck out of the tube after mixing.

If you're following the EI sticky, you're adding something like 1/2 tsp 3x per week. Is that correct?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Your test kit is bad. Just follow the sticky. Don't do more than that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The test kit is not that old and I have used it many many times without issue. I have double checked the tank several times now. It is a moderately planted tank with only one five inch piranha so there is not much waste being produced. Maybe tomorrow I will get a new test kit.

yes I am doing 1/2 tsp 3x per week
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaquatic View Post
The test kit is not that old and I have used it many many times without issue. I have double checked the tank several times now. It is a moderately planted tank with only one five inch piranha so there is not much waste being produced. Maybe tomorrow I will get a new test kit.

yes I am doing 1/2 tsp 3x per week
if it is moderately planted and low tech, there is NO WAY you are burning through that much nitrate. Calibrate your test kit or testing is a waste of time.

If you haven't shaken the bottle vigorously every time, it is time for a new one.

They go bad, and are usually old when we buy them.

I promise.

EI is based on surplus, and there is no way a non high tech, medium plant mass tank is burning through it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds good then. I fine with stopping testing nitrates in this tank. I guess I will move on to the next issue: algae.

Thank you for all the help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode