Greg Watson order came in now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Greg Watson order came in now what?

Before I do anything I want you guys to tell me what you think I should do. I recieved the following:

CSM+B
KN03
KS2P04
K2S04
Iron Chelate
(and I have magnesium but don't think I need it)

I can repost my specs for ya:

55g heavily planted
DIY C02
P04 = 0
N03 = 5ppm (and dropping)
Gh = 75
kh = 9
ph = 7.8

I did a water change Saturday and added some Kent micro's nothing else.

Where do I start - like do I premix these with water then dose the water, or do I just add the dry mix to the tank in certain amounts on certain days? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Could go into details here, but Craig already has a post up in regards to this. Check out his reply for your answer.

Eighth post down:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=algae

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've already read this and copied it into my photo album. I'll just pm Craig (WolfenxXx), because I am still not clear on some things and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to ThomE Send a message via Yahoo to ThomE
I use this link to reset NPK for weekly water change day.

Then do the alternating dosing for the remainder of the week. Is this the question you have?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry, not a member there can't read the link...but basically what I'm getting at is this (and I already pm'd Craig for his advice)but heregoes anyway...

I created a chart in Excel (like Craig's) for each day of the week with water change beginning on Sat. In order to fill in my chart I want to know what fert to start with first, and and how to mix the CSM+B in large amounts. I know there are examples out there in other threads for other tanks. I just want to pin down my own routine. I asked Craig can I mix a large batch (like in a large medicine bottle) of CSM+B, rather than a capful at a time. I just want to clarify if I did a water change Satuday, and today is Tues, and I didn't dose anything before now, what do I start with? I also asked him, how often should I test my water from now on (is once a week in the middle of the week enough).

I know I'm probably making this more complicated than it has to be...... I just want to do it right, and don't want to just start putting stuff in the tank...know what I mean Vern?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Thought I would quote the response post, for future reference.
With an edit for the iron question in this thread that was not in the PM..
Quote:

Hello Jen
I mix CSM+B 1Tbsp in a 250ml bottle H20
Iron Chelate 1Tbsp per 250ml H20

If you change water on Saturdays start like this
Day1) 50% H20 Change, then dose 1/2Tsp KN03 1/8Tsp KH2P04 1/8Tsp K2S04
Day2) Dose Trace CSM+B 10ml 1ml Iron
Day3) Dose 1/2Tsp KN03 1/8Tsp KH2P04 1/8Tsp K2S04
Day4) same as day2
Day5 same as day3
Day6 same as day 2 again
Day 7 start over..
It's that simple.
Here is a blank RTF you can use
http://www.triplexclan.com/Aqua/Regimen.rtf

You can test as often as you like, but I never test..
Only thing about dosing like this, is you're C02, if you start getting problems you may have to back off the dosing a bit till you can get pressurized system.
Thanks

Craig

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Again Craig!! I am following these instructions and will monitor from here! I was glad to see you addressed the Iron, because that was one fert, I was still unsure of last night when I set everything up! I am assuming I can combine the Fe with the CSM+B and dose at same time from the same bottle. Appreciate it!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Actually I would mix the Iron separately than the CSM,
Give it, it's own little space/bottle.

Craig

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Actually I would mix the Iron separately than the CSM,
Give it, it's own little space/bottle.
OK, cool, I'll do that! So It appears I dose it 1ml everytime I dose trace (CSM+B).

P.S. Did you know rubbing achohol bottles are exactly 2 cups or almost 500ml (so double the formula). They are clear, only cost 45 cents, and leave no residue after they're rinsed? Just fyi for anyone who ever needs cheap bottle.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
When mixing 1 tablespoon Iron Chelate with 250 ml H2O, what is the concentration of iron compared to Flourish Iron?

It seems like people are dosing small amounts of Iron chelate, is this because CSM+B already contains iron?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought the CSM +B plus Extra Iron instead of getting a seperate iron chelate because the water report where I'm moving indicates a higher iorn level than I have now and I think the "plus Iron" will suffice and be one less bottle. I also plan on making up enough solutions to last one week.

See any problems with this plan?

opening soon
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sounds good, will you be mixing a more dillute solution, or a smaller full strength solution?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That I haven't figured that out, when I do, I'll be posting the specifics in another thread I started on PMDD using Barr's EI system. I'm a fan of the shotgun approach whenever possible because of the simplicity and in my new job, I'll be getting people into planted tanks for the first time mostly and ease of use is going to be a big plus in a plug and play world. People in my experience start hearing test kits etc and think rocket science is easier than a planted tank, I plan to blow that idea out of the water and show them it can be done by implementing a few basic steps in a consistent routine.

Of course if they want rocket science, hey, tweakers are people too, whatever it takes to enjoy the hobby.

opening soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode