Do you dose extra potassium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you dose extra potassium?

Hi just wondering if most people dose extra K I know some do some dont are there guide lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:37 PM

extra K? No. I dose 15ppm after a 50% water change.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:20 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
As you suggest, I think it is a topic that gets a wide variety of opinions on both sides. Like maklore, I dose extra K during a water change, bringing the levels up into the 15-20 range. Then I ignore it until the next water change.

Brian.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I do the same as BSS.....dose extra on water changes...then forget about it

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmm I wonder how much on average is in tap? Being one of the major nutrients we need and considering how many of us add N and P I cant see why we wouldnt have to add K also. It sucks theres not cheap accurate test, because I hate to just blindly overdose as much as underdose.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Well, if you're dosing KNO3, you are dosing some potassium when you dose nitrates. One half teaspoon in a 55 for instance would give 8.25ppm nitrate and 5.21ppm potassium, at least according to Chuck's Planted Calculator. From what I understand the target level of potassium is 20ppm. But I would like to know how much if any actually is in my tap water. Seems to be one of those things that isn't addressed.

Slinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got some KNO3 and I haven't put a gram in my tank yet because the nitrate level seems to go up disproportionately high for any gain in K. My nitrates are running around 10....perhaps.

In need something because all I have is 1.5 mg/l according to my water company. Guess it wouldn't hurt to put enough in to double the level after the weekly water change and again a few days later.

The Kent Macro contain soluble potash, K2O (i.e, K(OH) in the presence of water). Good thing about it is that it's mostly potassium but it could raise the pH a tad.

Anybody try this or something else nitrate- or sulfate-free.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8wayg8r
The Kent Macro contain soluble potash, K2O (i.e, K(OH) in the presence of water). Good thing about it is that it's mostly potassium but it could raise the pH a tad.

Anybody try this or something else nitrate- or sulfate-free.
The convention for listing the %K in fertilizers is to use the K2O EQUIVALENT. "Soluble potash" does not necessarily mean it is K2O - it usually isn't. It is some soluble potassium salt. Something similar is done for N and P as well.

All potassium salts are soluble - so just pick one that is available, cheap, and won't do anything else to your tank (KH2PO4 for instance - raises phosphates too). Convenient options are K2SO4 and KCl.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use K2SO4 that I purchased from gregwatson.com.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any articles at the tip of your mouse regarding sulfate or chloride build-up over time. I know plants will use the nitrate. I'm not sure about sulfates or chlorides.

The KCl may do the trick.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8wayg8r
Any articles at the tip of your mouse regarding sulfate or chloride build-up over time. I know plants will use the nitrate. I'm not sure about sulfates or chlorides.

The KCl may do the trick.
Plants use both sulphate and chloride ions. The ions possess a negative charge (CL-, SO4-) and are used to balance all the positive nutrient ions (e.g K+) inside the plant.

This is what I quickly found on another site...
Quote:
I guess the other major issue is chloride vs. chlorine. Chlorine is the element, it is a strong oxidzing agent, when dissolved in water at around neutral pH, it is largely in the form of hypochlorite ions, which you may recognize as the active ingredient in bleach. Chloride ions are essentially unreactive. It is the major anion in seawater, but usually it isn't the dominant anion in freshwater, or it is about as abundant as sulfate or bicarbonate.

Some fish from very soft water may be somewhat susceptible to high Cl-. Generally, though, at low concentrations, it is completely innocuous. I doubt that there will be enough Cl- buildup from the use of the fertilizer that you mention to cause problematically high Cl- concentrations if you perform even occasional water changes.
Weekly water changes will ensure that no values build up too high, but unless you are pouring kilos of ferts in, I agree that it wont really be a major problem.

One thing to watch with KCL, is that you get it is as pure as you can find.... try not to get a sample with lots of additives as well.

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
15 to 30 ppm is the norm for K
Address the basic need's of the plant's with plenty of light, C02, N P K keep tank clean and thing's are flexible!!!

Craig

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm mostly pleased with my light, CO2, N, P (lately) and the way my tank looks. I get a few translucent patches of soft green algae on my glass that clean off once a week and some of my substrate pebbles are greenish - nothing hairy or stringy. Moreover, my water is really clear. The only exceptions are a few "hard to grow" plants in my tank. I believe my missing ingredient is most likely potassium because the symptoms described in Chucks Planted Tank Nutrient Deficiency match what I see. Once I get this issue taken care of I can foresee a time when I'll be able to put more effort into aquascaping than messing with the set-up and water to get the plant to grow right.

What do you use for potassium, WfxXx?

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Sound's like you are doing very well g8r..

I use K2S04 for K

Thanks

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode