Do I have all of the ferts? HELP!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
Do I have all of the ferts? HELP!!

currently I am using KNO3 - potassium Nitrate. K2SO4-potassium sulfate
KH2PO4 - mono potassium phosphate and Plantex CSM+B

everything is growing very well, but am I missing anything?

i see there is also iron chelate, manganese sulfate, calcium nitrate, calcium sulfate... the list goes on and on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Other than optional supplemental iron, you have standard EI there...

plus the potassium sulfate.

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yes. I bought the NPK CSM+B package. but i see many other ferts out there. should I be using calcium? manganese... whatever that is.... I do dose a liquid iron like once a week.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you use/need GH Booster?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Do you use/need GH Booster?
no. How does GH affect a tank? I have a 120g and change about 60 - 80 gallons every week.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

GH Booster contains magnesium and calcium sulfates, which provide nutrients and buffering against large PH swings when using CO2.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (60/100%)
if your tap water has GH of 3+, you're good, if not supplement with GH booster, or add Ca and Mg to raise your GH.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
GH Booster contains magnesium and calcium sulfates, which provide nutrients and buffering against large PH swings when using CO2.

It doesn't contain any carbonate so it cannot prevent pH swing. You need something with HCO3- in order to do that (baking powder). All it does is buffer GH it has no effect on water's buffering capability against H2CO3.

I do suggest the GH booster though. It's a pretty brainless supplement. I grab a pinch and toss it in a day when I see any deficiency. I don't bother to measure it.

I also beg to differ with the GH of 3+ is okay thing. I have GH of about 6 and KH of about 3 or 4 and until I dose calcium I will get deficiencies. GH isn't a very good measurement since it includes Mg. What amount of Mg and Ca is actually in the water is still questionable. That said my tap actually comes out 4ppm mg and 30ppm Ca the "perfect ratio" and I still need supplemental Ca.

edit: Let me rephrase that last sentence. it "supposedly comes out at that measurement" I doubt its validity though.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oops, was thinking about calcium carbonate, not sulfate.

Snail Glades,
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

where can I get GH booster in here?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post

I also beg to differ with the GH of 3+ is okay thing. I have GH of about 6 and KH of about 3 or 4 and until I dose calcium I will get deficiencies.
Out of curiosity, what are the deficiencies that you notice? Qualitative like dead fish and plants, or quantitative like low test readings?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny313 View Post
where can I get GH booster in here?
You can get some on GLA

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have used gH booster and see no difference and actually have backed off to a low dose of Plantex + CSM because it's all my plants require. If you have some plants that are showing signs of stress, not the right color, or are very demanding you might need to add some of these seperate micro nutrients but for the most part or plants Plantex fills the bill. If I use Plantex at the full recommended EI dose for my size tank I start to get thread algae, this could be due to nutrients in my tap water or something else I don't really know, but my point is to listen to your tank and don't just dump something in because it's available.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
You can get some on GLA
Just noticed your location. I assume you're in the Tualatin Water District too? Do you have the same 0kh 0gh water that I do? If so, have you experienced the need to tamper with your water parameters?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncrunch7 View Post
Just noticed your location. I assume you're in the Tualatin Water District too? Do you have the same 0kh 0gh water that I do? If so, have you experienced the need to tamper with your water parameters?
I live close to Aloha High School if you know where that is. I live somewhat close to the intersection of Farmington and 185th. But yea when i test my water parameters they are pretty much 0gh and 0kh. So a few months ago I noticed that my MTS were dying due to soft waters and since I was dosing PPS-Pro, I only do water changes once a month. So I started dosing the GH booster and everything was good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode