AquaSafe, AmQuel or NovAqua - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
AquaSafe, AmQuel or NovAqua

OK, now I'm still confused. I've read through all of the posts about conditioners, and now my head is spinning.

I've been using AquaSafe for a year in my planted tank, and have continued to fight a minor phosphate - and minor algae problem. I've been reading through these posts, and gather that AquaSafe may be contributing to my phosphate problem.

I guess to be safe, it seems that those in the know all recommend NOT using AquaSafe.

So what is the consensus alternative, then? (I know, I know...Aquarist Consensus - there's an oxymoron for you.)

Do I use AmQuel, NovAqua.....or even BOTH?

I've read through the John Farrell Kuhns interview and that just made me more confused. He actually recommends using BOTH.

I suppose I would prefer NovAqua, but others seem to insist that it also could somewhat elevate phosphates although the JFK interview says this isn't true. If it IS true, then I suppose I should switch to AmQuel.

So, can someone please just make my life easier and give me a simple answer to the question, "Should I stop using AquaSafe, and what should I start using?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What exactly are you trying to do? If you're just looking for a good dechlorinator then use Amquel/Amquel Plus or Seachem Prime, both of which also detoxify chloramine. There are others, but you won't go wrong using either of these two.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
What exactly are you trying to do? If you're just looking for a good dechlorinator then use Amquel/Amquel Plus or Seachem Prime, both of which also detoxify chloramine. There are others, but you won't go wrong using either of these two.
Right, good question...I'm just trying to dechlorinate tap water for my water changes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would go with Seachem Prime. I've read about Amquel issues (I believe with test kit results), and never read about issues with Prime.

John P.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:14 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Where is a good place to get Seachem Prime Cheap? Does the stuff ever go bad? I bought an eye dropper type thing so I can get the appropriate amount of prime in my ten gallon tank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I ordered my Seachem Prime fom BigAlsonline. I had been using something else beforehand, but reading up on it here, I decided to try it. I was really pleasantly suprised when I saw that one capful treats 50 gallons! Especially since I just put a little pond in....
I couldn't tell you about test results while using it, bc I'm still trying to straighten out my phosphate problem from using Seachem's Neutral Regulator before.... But my theory is, if a lot of people here are using it, it must be good!

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
I would go with Seachem Prime. I've read about Amquel issues (I believe with test kit results), and never read about issues with Prime.
Now I'm confused! I thought Amquel was one of the ones that was supposed to not have issues with test results.

Here we go a-googling .... *sigh*

*edit* All right, here's what I've got:
Quote:
CONTRAINDICATIONS AmQuel should not be added to water containing active, therapeutic dosages of chemical dyes such as methylene blue, acriflavine, potassium permanganate or malachite green, since AmQuel will interfere with their proper performance. Combining AmQuel with these dyes will not result in toxic chemical by-products. AmQuel is compatible to use with all water quality test kits except for the ammonia test kit that uses Nessler reagents that read in shades of amber or yellow, and the oxygen kit that uses Winkler reagents. Residual AmQuel and its reaction products are incompatible with the Nessler and Winkler-type test reagents, resulting in false, high ammonia and low oxygen concentration readings. All other types of test kits produce accurate test results, such as ammonia test kits using salicylate-type reagents. Kordon's AquaTru Test Kit #35970 for salt water and #35980 for fresh water are recommended for accurate test results. AmQuel will temporarily (for approximately 12 hours) lower redox. (For more information see KPD-80. "About Conditioners")
This is from this site: http://www.novalek.com/kpd51.htm. So it appears that the ammonia test is the only test it would interfere with, and then only certain tests.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Amquel only affects nessler based ammonia test kits.

SeaChem prime does take on a funky odor, but it's still good stuff...and super concentrated. 1mL treats 10gallons of water!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
A while ago I was in your shoes PalmPC. I found out my Aquasafe had phosphates so I looked for a new dechlor. I ruled out Novaqua because of possibility it had phosphates too. I read that same John Farrel Kuhns interview and he said they removed the phosphates from Novaqua...but I never found a date on that interview. According to the Colin and Sears paper:
Quote:
Certain water treatment products (Aquasafe, NovAqua) should be avoided as they bind metals (including iron), making them unavailable to plants. They may also contain phosphate buffers. Simple dechlorinators or products such as Amquel are a better choice for treating tap water during water changes.
It says Novaqua has phosphates. Mind you though this was dated 1996. Also Colin and Sear's say Novaqua isn't suitable for plants b/c of binding up iron. Kuhns has the opposite response. Who's right is debatable, but suspicion was enough to scare me away.

I got it down to Amquel and Prime and probably chose Prime just b/c it's popular.

Quote:
SeaChem prime does take on a funky odor
Yeah it does! Smells like soy to me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, OK then...I have officially switched from AquaSafe to Prime. I picked up a bottle today at PetCo. Thanks for the dialog everyone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode