Anybody else have trouble getting cool water for water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Anybody else have trouble getting cool water for water changes?

So as the thread title states, right now the coolest that I can get my tap water is about 83-85 degrees, so I've been doing 50% weekly water changes with that when my normal tank temp is like 79.5 degrees or so. Tank temperature goes from 79 up to about 81 or 82 during water changes and takes a full day to drop back down. I put about 30-35 cubes of ice into my tank during water changes to get the temp to stay in the low 80s.

My next solution is to fill buckets up with water the day before and wait for it to cool down overnight, but I would need five 5 gallon buckets for that and I only have two =P. Anybody else run into the same problems? It's just 100 degrees outside every day for like 2 weeks and 90+ for over a month now.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Any tropical fish will be perfectly happy with temperatures into the low 80's. Under 68, or over 85, I'd be concerned. But unless you have very picky species, there's no need to throw in ice cubes.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
But should I be concerned about really quick small temperature spikes from 79 to 83 in 5 minutes or so?

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Nope. During winter months, those in northern states might have a drop of a much larger magnitude. Even here in NC, it's pretty significant. maybe 10 degrees over a few minutes. Fish deal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to steak
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Any tropical fish will be perfectly happy with temperatures into the low 80's. Under 68, or over 85, I'd be concerned. But unless you have very picky species, there's no need to throw in ice cubes.
Agree

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
You could get a rubbermaid trash can/larger container to fill up the day before. I have to set my buckets of water out the day before too in order to get the temp down on my tap.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If a fish were being pursued by a predator in the wild, it could reasonably expect to have temperature changes of 10 degrees or more rapidly as it fled from a shadowy spot in deeper water into brightly lit shallow water (near a pond or creek's edge, for instance.) The fish we keep aren't used to that sort of treatment of course, and I'm not pretending that it's good for them, but a 2 degree change over the course of the water change process isn't going to make a bit of difference.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
More than 10 degrees. A fish can go from 80 to 60 degree water or even colder just by swimming into the mouth of a stream.

What you don't want to do is keep fish from some stable environment out of their comfort zone on a permanent basis.

Fish from shallow water (I.E. little fish like we put in our aquariums) experience bigger temp swings than 2 degrees every time it rains, or the sun comes out for a few hours.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
go to a restaurant and ask them for empty pickle or mayonnaise buckets - they usually have so many they fill their dumpsters with them which cost them money, so they're glad to give them away
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why don't you just raise the temp of your heater a small amount? I'd set it to 81F if I was that worried.

I don't really temp my water though. Heater is set to 80F and I just add water based on ow it feels on my hand. It's hard to get it exact with a Python.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode