Converting dry fert measurements to liquid measurements... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Converting dry fert measurements to liquid measurements...

Starting out, I will be dosing with liquid fertz and I was going to use the guide at the top of this page as a starting point. I just wanted to make sure I had the conversions from dry fert measurements to liquid fert measurements correct.

Is there a formula for going from dry to liquid? And to confirm, the dosing regimen at the top of this forum is for DRY fertz correct?

-45 Gallon
*High Tech
*All kinds of plants
*Barb species tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes, the sticky is for dry fertilizer.

Take some easily divisible amount of water, 1L for example, and add however many doses of fertilizer you want ( 3 per week) and divide the volume by the number of doses. If you put 10 doses (3 weeks and 1 dose) worth of ferts into one liter, you'll dose 100mL every time. If you want to make it an even month and want the math simple, use 1.2L or 600mL and dose 50mL each time. If you stick with 1L you'll get 83.333333mL per dose and while some numbskull out there is invariably measuring out 83.33mL, just dose anything between 80mL and 100mL and your life will be trouble free.

For those who don't want to do any 4th grade level division, just mix your dose every day and don't worry about the liquid volume.

If you're trying to convert dry dosing into a commercially prepared liquid fertilizer, we'll need some more information about the fertilizer contents.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just one last suggestion:

Every compound has some maximum amount of solubility, so trying to use very small liquid volumes could get frustrating. I've always found it easier to use a larger volume. A small error in measurement makes less of a difference this way also, although very precise dosing is not required with EI.

The inventor of this system intentionally designed it to be extremely forgiving in this regard. (I assume this was intentional.)

In any case, don't get caught up trying to measure 1/132nd tsp of something.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Shark!

-45 Gallon
*High Tech
*All kinds of plants
*Barb species tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
This calculator may give you some help and it also will point out any solubility issues.

http://calc.petalphile.com/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Just one last suggestion:

Every compound has some maximum amount of solubility, so trying to use very small liquid volumes could get frustrating. I've always found it easier to use a larger volume. A small error in measurement makes less of a difference this way also, although very precise dosing is not required with EI.

The inventor of this system intentionally designed it to be extremely forgiving in this regard. (I assume this was intentional.)

In any case, don't get caught up trying to measure 1/132nd tsp of something.
While not the inventor really, more the cheerleader.........the intent was a reaction to PMDD which users techy terms, mls, chem calculations, ppm's or this or that chemical salt, dosing daily and weighing X amount of this and that.

Testing and doing water changes if things got too far away from you, minimization of PO4, I think many found it a bit too much and it did not become as popular as what it could have been.

I just suggested simplifying it because I knew there were no risk and that the ranges where MUCH larger than those claimed(still today many insist the ranges are far narrower than they really are, and suggest there's risk, but this has been falsified multiple times in many different tanks by many different people)

So it was more a response to human issues than plant issues really, what makes it easiest for folks without incurring any more risk. PMDD came before EI and EI is 95-99% PMDD without the fear of algae added/removal of test kits.

Still have not met anyone who got into the fish hobby for their love of testing water samples. Have any of you?

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
This is my thread from last week. It might give you at least an idea:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...de-my-own.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The only time I have had any solubility issues is with CSM+B. I use 500 mL to dissolve a tablespoon because I can't get it to dissolve well otherwise. I've tried using DI water. I've even tried heating the water, but got precipitate after putting my delicious, metal cocktail in the fridge.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode