Nitrogen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nitrogen

Hi I am about to change over to dry fertilizers. I want to order NPK + CSM+B from green leaf aquariums. My tank is extremely lightly stocked (one six inch piranha), so I have been using extra Nitrogen from seachem. Which dry fertilizer product should I order for the extra N? The options are: KNO3 or CaNO3

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Most people do KNO3 because it's an extra source for K.

Generally people get:
KNO3 (for N and K)
KH2PO4 (for P and K)
and something for micros (your CSM+B)

Often there is enough K from those first two that you don't have to dose anything separately. (If you find you need another source of K you can order K2SO4.) Using CaNO3 would raise your water hardness a little, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on what you want.

I wouldn't get the N-P-K package all together; I would order them separately, getting one each of the things I listed above. That way if the nutrient ratios need tweaking you can add a little more of one or the other until you find what your tank needs. If you order them all together you don't have that option.

Edit: I see that it looks like they include a bag of each, rather than mixed together, so you would be able to adjust dosing. But they include the K2SO4 which you may or may not need, so I guess it's just up to you whether you want to wait and see if you can save a couple bucks, or just have it on hand in case you need it. Also, this package already includes KNO3, so you don't need to look for an additional N source.

Joy to the fishes!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
KNO3 is the better option. CaNO3 will raise your hardness which is fine if your water is very soft, but usually people try to avoid this.

CaNO3 is wonderful for hydroponic fetilizers, but even then is usually used in combination with KNO3 or NH4NO3 (which is not a very good candidate for fertilizer in a tank containing fauna).

Usually CaNO3 is used for the purpose of raising Ca levels, not N.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode