Water constantly at 86 degrees? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water constantly at 86 degrees?

This is without the lights on. I've taken to running my lights at night to avoid boiling my fish. There's no heater because, well, I don't need one. I'm not sure how to cool it down at this point though. Running a fan over the top seems to have cooled it down to 84. But in the afternoon it rises back up to 86 despite the fan. How is this affecting my fish? I have Cories and Guppies.

Also I wasn't sure if this should go in water parameters, or general planted tank discussion. If its in the wrong place let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (60/100%)
most fish should not be affected.
or you could keep on adding ice cubes to cool off the water a bit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoon View Post
most fish should not be affected.
or you could keep on adding ice cubes to cool off the water a bit.
I could? I always figured the shock of the coldwater melting might do something to them. Adding ice cubes would also help my rapidly evaporating water issue.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I had a problem like this one hot summer... I would fill 2 liter soda bottles more then half way with water and freeze them. Then I would just float it it in the tank. I had a few that I would rotate.

It was a good short term fix anyway...

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A small fan blowing across the water cools it. I have a fan on my 20long 24/7 and the heater on because it drops it too cool sometimes and rather than always watch and monitor the temps and turn the fan on and off, the fan and heater keep it consistent.

You can also freeze water bottles and just let them float in the tank. They last longer than ice cubes but the problem with either way, is you have to check the temps all the time and drop in a new one when it starts to rise.

High or low temps don't affect fish as much as inconsistent temps. Large spikes can cause them to have issues.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
I could? I always figured the shock of the coldwater melting might do something to them. Adding ice cubes would also help my rapidly evaporating water issue.
Since heat rises and the warmest water in your tank will want to rise to the top where the ice is floating, as well as the current will mix up your water and even the temperature out pretty well, I don't think you'd have to much to worry about in that regard. Just don't put more than a couple in at a time, I'd say. Also, make sure you make the ice cubes out of treated water.

Joy to the fishes!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thankyou guys!!! It's a nano. So I used one of those freezable water bottle sticks.. It just looks sort of like a heater it that back corner. And the temp is down to 82.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
What sort of filter are you using. Based on where you are it seems strange the temp would be so high. I have a 3g in my dinning room that never gets nearly that warm. I'm inland and it's a lot hotter here. PC light & no fan.

Problem with using ice is your temp is going to be like a roller coaster.

Guppies will be fine. Some cories will be fine, others won't. With the warmer temps the fish will be far more active (and hungry).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
What sort of filter are you using. Based on where you are it seems strange the temp would be so high. I have a 3g in my dinning room that never gets nearly that warm. I'm inland and it's a lot hotter here. PC light & no fan.

Problem with using ice is your temp is going to be like a roller coaster.

Guppies will be fine. Some cories will be fine, others won't. With the warmer temps the fish will be far more active (and hungry).
Not a very good one. I had to replace the one that came with it on a tight budget. I'm planning on upgrading soon though.. After my light fixture mainly.
Its a canister filter thats meant for 10 - 15 gallons.. Marina maybe?
My house is old. For here anyway. The insulation is piss poor at best. my room is tiny. My house is on a hill where it gets constant sun from dawn till dusk. And probably the biggest factor in all this besides my room being the size of my boyfriend walk in closet, is the fact that its in the corner. My room gets blasted by sun all day. So it sort of bakes in here all day. Normally it reaches between 95 - 115 in my room. Not outside, just inside my room.
The pack seems to be working right now. Its still sort of frozen. And my temp is staying at 82. Which is normally how warm it is at night. I wish I could find a better solution.
The guppies were harder hit than the cories honestly. But all seem to be doing well for now. As long as I'm not killing my fish. I stuck an airstone in there to keep oxygen levels up. Hope it helped.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eldachleich, I just wanted to let you know that you certainly aren't alone in the "no climate control club". XD Granted, the temp in my room maxes out at around 92, but the issue is the same.

In the short term (a few months out of the year); so far a steady temp of ~85F hasn't done any obvious damage, with exception to some mosses that don't seem grow as fast in higher temps, and some melt on crypts when the temp slipped up to 90. As for the fauna: I keep labyrinth fish in there, so they don't necessarily rely on oxygen saturation, but the amano shrimp & various snails seem to handle it okay as well.

Predictions for the long term are a bit more difficult. It really depends on the species that you keep since some fish and plants are more well suited for higher temps than others. In theory prolonged exposure to higher than optimal temps could cause shorter longevity, since the enzymes used by a particular species often have optimal working conditions which include temperature, but how much of an impact that would have could vary quite a bit from species to species.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode