Question: Plantex CSM+B (Long-Term Storage) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question Question: Plantex CSM+B (Long-Term Storage)

PROBLEM: I know that this is hardly a new question; however, I am wondering what the best remedies are for this situation: I have used Flourish Comprehensive for micros for sometime prior to deciding to go with dry fertilizers and make my own liquid fertz. Unfortunately, I have found that bottle containing the Plantex CSM+B is has a fungal-mold related problem. I know that this is a common problem with CSM+B and some folks refrigerate their bottles; however, I recall hearing that there are other alternatives to refrigration (which besides cold is dark).

OBSERVATIONS: I have the liquid solution stored in graduated dispenser bottle and it is stored under the cabinet; however, it is not entirely light free as the back of the cabinet is somewhat open and it is probably dimly illuminated. Obviously, the dispenser bottle is transparent enough to let the light into it; whereas, Flourish Comprehensive bottle is non-transparent. Flourish Comprehensive does not require refrigration nor dark storage (though the bottle is not transparent).

QUESTIONS:So, I guess my first question is what are the options for fixing the problem. Second, I was wondering whether it is simply a light tight bottle or whether their are inhibitor-preservative agents one could add that are not harmful to fish (e.g., Flourish Comprehensive just fugal-mood free because light-tight or is there fugal-mold growth inhibitor in the mix as well).

Thank-you, in advance, for taking a moment to help.

~TYGER~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Last edited by Tyger; 07-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
HCL or Excel/Glut added to the solution will preserve it indefinitely.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Add 5 ml of Excel or so to every 250 ml of Plantex CSM solution to keep it mold free. Dark won't help the mold grows anyway and the cool causes some of the nutrients to re-crystalize out of solution.

Believe it or not the active ingredient in Excel is a Hospital grade disinfectant so you can but it cheaper but I don't see the need to have that much on hand and the small bottle of Excel will last you a couple of years if you only use it for this purpose.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Question

Well, I love forums because it is a fantastic way to learn and share knowledge. I appreciate the responses and forgive me if I am not up on some of the shorthand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
HCL or Excel/Glut added to the solution will preserve it indefinitely.
I think Excel/Glut means Excel which contains Glutaraldehyde though I am not certain what HCL means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Add 5 ml of Excel or so to every 250 ml of Plantex CSM solution to keep it mold free. Dark won't help the mold grows anyway and the cool causes some of the nutrients to re-crystalize out of solution. Believe it or not the active ingredient in Excel is a Hospital grade disinfectant so you can but it cheaper but I don't see the need to have that much on hand and the small bottle of Excel will last you a couple of years if you only use it for this purpose.
Hmmm, I was doing a quick search on "Excel/Glut" and found the following discussion which suggests Glutaraldehyde is some pretty toxic stuff in more pure form. I gotta say that this sounds like a plan though I'd still like to know what HCL means (more knowledge is better).

Thank-you both... . ~Tyger (Michael)~

~TYGER~

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
HCl = Hydrogen Chloride, or Hydrochloric acid. It is an acid so has a very low pH and makes life difficult. It is the main 'ingredient' in stomach acid, where one of its purposes is to protect against infection by microrganisms. If you decide to go that route, be very careful when handling it.

Personally I would use Excel, because it's pretty easy to get your hands on and not hazardous to deal with. And if you're only using it for that purpose it doesn't cost very much.

Joy to the fishes!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dose dry.

Jim

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Hmmm, I was doing a quick search on "Excel/Glut" and found the following discussion which suggests Glutaraldehyde is some pretty toxic stuff in more pure form.
It is. But you probably won't find it in its pure form. Metricide and Cidex, the most commonly-used Excel alternatives, are twice as potent. But "twice as potent" still only means 3-3.5% gultaraldehyde content. The rest is ...water.

Buying more pure glut is even more efficient, but we're talking about a lifetime supply at that point. Probably not worth it to most people, especially since you'll have graduated to CO2 and will use minimal glut long before the end of your life, assuming you stay in the hobby that long
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Whew! It has been some time since I had the chance to enjoy the hard sciences outside of neurobiology and neuropsychology and I have to say that I am enjoying the chance to get back to a bit of biology and chemistry.

Ah! As I said, ask, be patient, listen (read), and learn... thank-you all.

~Tyger (Michael)~

~TYGER~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode