What/How/Where Question on Fertz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What/How/Where Question on Fertz

Okay, I've recently purchased everything I need to start my mini-M ADA tank... but I'm missing fertz.

The reason I haven't bought some is because I'm pretty unsure exactly how that all works. I see the measurements and I see the names, but it's a bit too much to digest seeing as I'm just starting off. My questions are as followed:

For a "mini-M" 5.5 gallon tank what would be...

- The best package deal to buy of fertz?
- The essential fertz I should purchase?
- Dosing routine to follow?
- Dry or liquid?
- How many water changes?

I'm willing to go the whole 9 yards with this, so all advice is appreciated... I'm just confused a bit with this part of the equation.

Also if you can link me to a thorough EI method post or site, I would appreciate it. For some reason there's a ton of different versions of EI method out there when I searched google.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - My first attempt at high-tech planted aquascaping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That guide starts from a 20 gal dosing... I'm only using 5.5 gal?

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - My first attempt at high-tech planted aquascaping.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm using Pfertz for my Mini-M. It's not the most inexpensive route, but I love the convenience of it. There are four bottles in the system (P, N, K, and micros). I just give one squirt of each twice a week.

Tony

My

and my

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The best package deal to buy of fertz?
"Best" package really depends on what you value the most: best value for $ spent (dry ferts), ease of use (debatable), ease of storage (liquid), etc. Buying 1 lbs. bags of dry chemicals will cost roughly the same (maybe less) as buying most of the SeaChem line of liquids, the difference being that the dry ferts will last you a very, very long time on such a small tank. The problem is if you're only using them on a 5.5 gallon, they will start to clump together over time as water is absorbed from the air (hence the storage problem). For dosing small tanks, dry dosing can be done with tiny measuring spoons like these and liquids can be measured with a syringe if you want to be precise.

The essential fertz I should purchase?
KNO3 - Nitrate
KH2P04 - Phosphate
CSM+B - Trace
K2SO4 - Potassium
And/Or
"GH Booster" - (Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and Iron)

If you have hard water you don't necessarily need GH Booster, but if you don't use GH Booster you should use the K2SO4.
You can also get "root tabs", and use them in conjunction with your water column dosing regime as a useful back-up. That way plants have the option of drawing what nutrients they want from where, and are even less likely to run out of what they need.

Routine and waterchanges will depend on whether your tank is "low-tech" or "high-tech". Low-tech tanks need less ferts, and few water changes; high-tech tanks benefit from daily ferts & weekly large waterchanges. Example: For a High-Tech 5.5 gallon tank using dry ferts you would add 3x a week 1/16th (or "pinch" spoon) of Nitrate, and a "drop" spoon (1/64th tsp) would be the 3x weekly dose of Potassium, Trace, and (on alternate days) Phosphates.

Tags
fertz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode