Cloudy Confusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy Confusion

Hi guys,

New tank about 3 wks old - have had ammonia spike, and now have none in the tank. Nitrates? were a little high so I have been doing weekly WC - Fish seem happy!

Cloudiness - man - might be the size of my tank, but it is frustrating - Is my tank still cycling? Have over overdosed on Ferts.... surely not - I am keeping a VERY close eye on all my paramaters (for a noob anyway)

Have a look at this and you will get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5O2tASd2g

The idea is to get everything under contol with Lighting, Nutrients Etc, double or triple the amount of plants - then make the step up to c02 and Discus!!

Thankyou!

PS: I want CRYSTAL CLEAR water - is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
At 3 weeks old, it very well could still be cycling. If not, speaking as one who has battled cloudy water before, it could be bacterial. I would recommend a UV sterilizer if that is the case. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Pull the reins back on the water changes. At 3 weeks old, it still is cycling. I normally won't do a water change for the first 4-6 weeks. After that, it's ever week, of course.

Add some more plants. Lots of cheap fast growing stems. Even if you don't like them. They will make things much easier for you and once cycled, you can remove them.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
It could be a bacterial bloom since the tank is cycling. The bacteria in the bloom should soon die and either settle out or break down. The water should then clear.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Dempsey;1454966]Pull the reins back on the water changes. At 3 weeks old, it still is cycling. I normally won't do a water change for the first 4-6 weeks. After that, it's ever week, of course.

I agree with Dempsey, its still fairly new and just needs time to find an equilibrium. If your water tests decent let it ride. Be sure your not overfeeding too. Love your aquascaping and fish selection. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the prompt responses guys.

I have been fairly liberal with my dosing of Prime, which I believe does not effect the cycling process.

How about ferts, does that effect the cycle to a degree?

Also, with my airstone, do you think that I have too much surface agitation, enough to displace too much co2, thus cause algea growth?

There are so many variables the mind boggles!

Thanks guys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What lights are you using? And what is the tank size? If you want to use CO2, now is the time to start - it will make growing the plants a lot easier. The slight cloudiness could be a lot of things, from inadequate filtering to a beginning green water bloom.

Hoppy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank size is 6ft x 2ft and about 20" high.

I have four flouro tubes - bright white and pink.

I forget the exact specs - but have been assured that it is all ok!

Now that you mention it - I am getting slight green specks forming on the glass.

I know it is hard to guess - but usually a lack of c02 is the culprit, would you agree?

Also, if I was to introduce injected c02 now, would it create too many variables for me as a beginner, or make life easier?

Apologies for being vauge - I am doing extensive reading I can assure you....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=PetPro;1455041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Pull the reins back on the water changes. At 3 weeks old, it still is cycling. I normally won't do a water change for the first 4-6 weeks. After that, it's ever week, of course.

I agree with Dempsey, its still fairly new and just needs time to find an equilibrium. If your water tests decent let it ride. Be sure your not overfeeding too. Love your aquascaping and fish selection. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Agree.
Not uncommon for a new tank start-up. Give it a little time - you're not doing anything wrong that I can tell. Adding a few more plants could help.
While a UV sterilizer may help - that might be a touch premature just yet. Give it another couple of weeks to fully cycle (if that's the case) and settle in. If you still have haze/cloudiness at that time, I would suggest adding a bag of Purigen to your filter.
Best of luck.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
CO2 doesn't introduce any problem except that you have to exercise care not to gas the fish by raising the bubble rate too high. It makes the plants grow much faster and healthier, if you also use non-limiting fertilizing, as described in the sticky in this forum. About the only time I know of that CO2 is not a great idea is when you are trying to breed shrimp.

I don't know how much light you have. Are the tubes about 5/8 inch in diameter, or 1 inch? How long are they - 6 feet or 4 feet? What brand is the light fixture?

Hoppy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

couple of things I just realized, could it be my intake/exhaust positioning? As you will see from the video, my exhaust points away from the intake, and into and around the heater instead.

Also, when I was given my filter media, carbon bags, and 'ceramic noodles', i DIDNT RINSE THEM FIRST!!! could it be the white dust from those things in my tank a month later?

i feel like such a muppet!

Thanks guys!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Patients, take things slow and let the tank mature. You should slow the water changes to every other month without C02 and let the filters build the benificial bacteria needed. The tank looks ok in terms of cloudy water, no cabon filter pads are used in planted tanks they can remove some of the needed micro nutrients. My tank always has some paticulate mater floating about mainly because it's filters are too small, the current filtration guideline is 10 times flow vs tank volume, I have just 3 times.

As I remember it really takes a tank a long time to get settled (first tank is the worst) so read a lot and make changes slowly, without C02 you are most likely adding more fertilizer than needed to the water column. With a light plant load, not a lot of fast growing plants, no C02, you should only need spot dosing of ferts at the most. With your current set up you are not going to see rapid growth and you can easily create your own problems so again read, read, read.

I have some articles I want to post for you to read but the link is currently down, I will try to return and post them for you, good luck.

If your seeing green spots reduce the photo period by a couple of hours. How long do you leave the lights on??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thankyou for your concise response, just the advise I needed!

Current Photoperiod is 8hrs to the minute.

I agree, I would be more comfortable letting the tank settle before adding c02 etc etc.

I have been reading, but any articles that you have in mind would be of great benefit.

I am going to buy some Purigen tomorrow also.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

also might I add, that the algae growth (what little of it is there) tends to slow or even dissapear shortly after adding the liquid fertilizer, which makes me believe that there isnt enough of a carbon source in the water?

What the deal with this? --- All my guesses are 'educated', but only to the level that I am 'educated at' ! lol

Cheers..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode