what additional ferts should I be looking into? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what additional ferts should I be looking into?

I'm in the later planning stages of my 29g planted now, but I still have little to no idea on what to do about ferts...

lighting will be 2 24watt T5HO, DIY CO2 (still figuring out the number of bottles I'll need), eco-complete substrate, probably a moderate to heavy stock load, filter will be aquaclear 70 (might upgrade to a canister eventually, though).

was thinking flourish excel, but dont know how much o dose/ how often, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flourish Excel is a carbon source for plants, basically CO2 in a less efficient liquid form.

Search for Pferts and rootmedic fertilizers, the two sellers offer liquid fertilizers at a good price, since your tank isn't big, it is easy and economical.

Once you get the hang of it, research more about dry ferts (fertilizer in powder form, with liquid ferts, you are basically paying a lot of money for water).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, pfertz has a middle tech solution and a middle tech + that comes with root tabs.

rootmedic has basically the same bundle as pfertz's middle tech solution, for basically the same price.

which is the better product? is it worth spending thee extra few bucks to get the one with root tabs?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Never tried rootmedic before, but I can say from experience Pfertz is a great product. I've read good things about rootmedic though, so I'm sure you will be happy with which ever one you choose.

If you are going to be using Eco-Complete as your substrate I don't think you will need the root tabs, but it definitely won't hurt anything!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
If you're thinking about going with pressurized CO2 in the 6-12 months, I'd look into dry ferts now, just to get the hang of it. If not, then pfertz and rootmedic are both good options for your setup. The advantage of rootmedic is that its owner (Overstocked (Justin)) spends all his waking hours here on the forum, as well as most of his sleeping hours, so he's easy to get in contact with.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I agree with Kev.

About the root tabs, zachary... EC is a good substrate, for sure. I actually use it in one of my 29g's. I would really recommend using root tabs though.

Esp, with the lights that the OP has running.

DIY CO2,.. If that is the route you are taking for the time being, just make sure that you keep up with them. I can do it with no problems on this 29g but you have to make sure you change the solutions. I have 2 bottles and change one each week. That's a 2 week stager each.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I second the root medic ferts, the complete plus tabs, some tourmaline, maybe some prosand, and you have a top notch substrate. Also for dry ferts you will need:

Kno3 - mainly nitrogen and some potassium
K2so4 - mainly potassium and some sulfur
Kh2po4 - potassium and phosphorous
Csm+b - trace/micros
Mgso4 - magnesium sulfur for trace mix
Iron chelate - iron

Check the 'Dosing Regimen' sticky ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
With this amount of light you MUST have a water column dosing plan. Whether that be a liquid like mine(RootMedic) or a dry dosing system like EI, doesn't matter. RootMedic or even pfertz is about the convenience. Obviously it costs more than dry dosing. That part is up to you.

But your lighting is HIGH and keeping up diy co2 on it will be a challenge. I'd try 1 bulb and see how it works, as it will give you more "cushion" and less of an algae farm from the start. Or raise the fixture up 6-12 inches above the tank to reduce light.

T5HO light is underestimated. With this much light, a good nutrient rich substrate(or added nutrients like RootMedic Complete), plus good water column dosing(RootMedic Liquid, Pfertz, EI dosing) are a must. Good co2 is going to mean a world of difference.

Since it seems you don't want to do pressurized co2 yet, I would find a way to raise your lights or reduce the number of bulbs you run. It might not seem like much, but it really is.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about RootMedic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dont think my fixture will run on only one bulb, but it was suggested to me that I might put some window screening on the splash guard to block some of the light output.

I dont plan to go pressurised co2 anytime int he near future; its a lot more money than I want to spend on a tank this small, and this isnt my only tank (the 40g reef and 24g lionfish tank soak up most of my funds).

I like the convenience of pfertz/rootmedic, so I'll probably stick to those for now. less cost effective, maybe, but oh well. I'm thinking I'm going to start with rootmedic liquid (micro and macro) and since it comes with 25 rootmedic complete tabs, those as well. missing anything?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
No, that will cover everything to get you started. For your size tank I would start with the 500 ml bottles.

use the coupon code "plantedtank" to get 10% off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode