Isolating Ca from Barr's GH Booster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Isolating Ca from Barr's GH Booster

I'm assuming this will work...Just want to check up with you guys though. If I use cool water to "dissolve" my barr's GH booster I should be able to get rid of the potassium and most of the Mg right while leaving the rather insoluble CaSO4 in tack? I need some calcium but I don't really want to spend $$$ on a whole like 1lb bag of calcium..also don't want to get any big bags of chemicals from home depot like airdri simply because cash is tight right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
huh?
CaSO4 dissolves pretty well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_sulfate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

0.21 g/100 ml (20 C, anhydrous)[2]
0.24 g/100 ml (20 C, dihydrate)[3]

is not very soluble in my book. At RT it's about 3-4 grams per litre. What I just got reminded of is that its solubility decreases with warmth so that means using warm water is probably better as it will make everything else go away better as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Children Boogie

This is like collecting chocolate chips out of chocolate chip cookies. Why bother?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I need Ca but I already have a crap ton of this and why buy a whole new bag of ferts? I don't see the issue. But since I know I can do it I'll go ahead and carry it out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Don't forget about the manganese in GH Booster as well. If this is an experiment you're looking forward to conducting, go for it. But if you're looking for a few ounces, lemme know. First class weight limit is 13oz for $3.50 or so. I have a bunch of CaSO4 that I have no current use for, so I don't mind getting rid of some of it. PM me if you want a few ounces.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This technique might let you make a calcium rich version of the GH Booster, but it won't let you make a booster containing only calcium. It seems like a really big amount of effort for very little gain. None of the other compounds in the mix are in any way harmful, so why bother?

Hoppy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
This technique might let you make a calcium rich version of the GH Booster, but it won't let you make a booster containing only calcium. It seems like a really big amount of effort for very little gain. None of the other compounds in the mix are in any way harmful, so why bother?

I'm trying to make something with less magnesium and potassium. I just need mostly calcium and I only need the smallest amount. Maybe a week's worth of dosing so like 10 grams at most. I also have 0 money to spend on things like this right now. Money is really tight as a student so there's that also...it's having money to spend for my summer holiday or getting some plaster. What do you think I'll do?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Children Boogie

Just add more GH booster to get more Ca. You're not going to kill anything by adding more K, MgSO4.7H20. If you have the free time, go for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode