Mixing stock solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing stock solutions

Hi all,

I just got my dry ferts in the mail from www.gregwatson.com, as well as some handy measuring spoons, a measuring cup, and an 8oz double-neck bottle. I also have three old 8oz flourish bottles.

So, this is what I plan for my 12.5 gallon tank:

Potassium Nitrate: 1 Tablespoon into 8 oz

1 mL of stock raises tank ppm:
Nitrate: 0.97 ppm
Potassium: 0.61 ppm

Mono-Potassium Phosphate: 1/4 Tablespoon into 8 oz

Phosphate: 0.24 ppm

Potassium Sulfate: 2 Tablespoons into 8 oz

Potassium: 1.52 ppm

So should this be OK, given the solubility of each chemical (I assume so)? I'm making 3 separate stock solutions. I'd rather do this than dry dose. Any tips before I bust the bags open?

^iMp^

You spoony bard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I am not convinced that 2 tblspns of Potassium Sulfate will dissolve well in 8 oz of water. I don't remember though... dry-dosing now. Of course you can always shake it a while before dosing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I am not convinced that 2 tblspns of Potassium Sulfate will dissolve well in 8 oz of water. I don't remember though... dry-dosing now. Of course you can always shake it a while before dosing.
Thanks, Wasserpest. Maybe I'll decrease it to 0.5 tblspn. Then I can throw in a capful (5 mL) for an increase of 1.9 ppm. I'd rather be on the safe side and avoid excessive precipitation (just in case it gets all gunky on the bottom and won't churn up despite shaking).

And...as a little side question: why is dry-dosing so "popular"? Easier for larger tanks?

^iMp^

You spoony bard.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I dry dose in my 26-G tank. No reason not to.

John P.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No powder disasters? That's what I'm afraid of. I spill my fish food frequently enough as it is...

You spoony bard.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dry dose most ferts.

I never measure the dosage of anything over the aquarium. That's just a disaster waiting to happen!

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used the calculator last when making my dosing solutions. I weighed an amount of KNO3, then added water 10ml at a time until it all dissolved. Then I went to the calculator to figure out how much 1ml would change my tank.

This is something I think should be a part of the calculator:
Salt: Maximum solubility at 20C
Potassium sulfate: 1g in 8.3ml water
Potassium nitrate: 1g in 2.8ml water
Potassium monohydrogen phosphate: 1g in 0.67ml water (VERY soluble)

Here are some others that might be useful:

Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (Epsom salt): 71g in 100ml water
Calcium chloride (anhydrous, dihydrate, or hexahydrate): Extremely water soluble

Note that these are for dissolution in ion-free water. As an example, in the case of the potassium sulfate, its solubility is significantly less as the amount of KCl increases.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Just make darn sure you label the bottles of solution really well so you don't accidentally grab the wrong one. Don't ask me how I know this!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
I used the calculator last when making my dosing solutions. I weighed an amount of KNO3, then added water 10ml at a time until it all dissolved. Then I went to the calculator to figure out how much 1ml would change my tank.

This is something I think should be a part of the calculator:
Salt: Maximum solubility at 20C
Potassium sulfate: 1g in 8.3ml water
Potassium nitrate: 1g in 2.8ml water
Potassium monohydrogen phosphate: 1g in 0.67ml water (VERY soluble)

Here are some others that might be useful:

Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (Epsom salt): 71g in 100ml water
Calcium chloride (anhydrous, dihydrate, or hexahydrate): Extremely water soluble

Note that these are for dissolution in ion-free water. As an example, in the case of the potassium sulfate, its solubility is significantly less as the amount of KCl increases.
Thanks for that, Kevin. Looks like I'm alright if I reduce the 2 tblspn Potassium Sulfate to 1/2 tblspn into 8 oz water. I'm definitely going to copy that info.

RoseHawke: I made one good use out of my old Flourish bottles -- I definitely won't have a problem unless I really space out when filling them (which is very possible!).

^iMp^

You spoony bard.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^iMp^
And...as a little side question: why is dry-dosing so "popular"? Easier for larger tanks?
Yes, it's easier to measure 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon than to shake the bottle and drip say 14.5 ml into the (larger) tank. The biggest reason for me is that premixed solutions can go bad (bacterial growth) while the dry powder has a pretty indefinite lifetime as long as it stays dry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode