Novice-What to dose a newly planted tank with Eco-Complete + Onyx Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Novice-What to dose a newly planted tank with Eco-Complete + Onyx Sand

I was wondering what liquid fertilizers I should start dosing my tank with. I have a layer of Onyx Sand and Eco-Complete, and then a layer of gravel on top (about 3.5 - 4 inches all together). My tank is 45 Gal, 24" in height. I'll be putting a dual bulb T5 fixture on top w/ moonlights and plan to run a DIY Co2 kit. I am running an Aqueon biological filter, although I'm learning this is not an absolute true bio filter.

After all of this, I was wondering what liquid chemicals I should be looking at, as I want my plants to be able to absorb through the water column also. As for the plants, I plan to put in mostly beginner friendly, low and medium light plants. I'd also like to grow some moss. I already purchased some Seachem Flourish, but was thinking I should also grab some Seachem Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Trace. I'd also like to add some crushed coral to build up a good buffer. I just don't want to over-do it and cause harm. Since I am a novice, feel free to critisize or suggest as you see fit. Thanks in advance!

-45 Gallon
*High Tech
*All kinds of plants
*Barb species tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Low light plants will consume far less nutrients than high light plants as they grow so much slower. I used the flourish line for a long time, now on EI, just wish i swopped earlier and would have saved a fortune!!! Any heavy rooting plants should be OK for a while with the eco complete but i would subsidize it with some rootmedic root tabs within a month or 2, Growth slows down surprisingly quickly with eco complete, it's real benefit is how it is very good at holding nutrients added to the tank either by the hobbyist or fish waste etc as the tank ages.

I would just run flourish alone unless you see reasons to add others as you will want to change after a few months anyway if you new to the hobby. The most expensive time in this hobby IME is the first 6 months as you will change your mind as your tank develops
Running DIY on a tank your size is extremely difficult and inefficient, you will need a minimum of 6 x 2ltr bottles to even see any results.DIY is best when used in less than 20g tanks. You will be better off IMO choosing what you ultimately want, if you plan to go high tech as your finances allow then ignore co2 for now, maybe add flourish excel (you will need it to fight algae anyway at some point!), my experience with large DIY co2 set ups has been that it caused algae issues as it is unpredictable and stability is the most important factor to keep algae at bay.

Just take it slow, you have a good base plan and you will learn a lot in the first few months, expect some issues.. everyone has them but your in the right place for advise, if it was easy it would be boring
Good luck!!
Be sure to post pics once planted etc....

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With T5HO you'll have high light and I really don't think adding iron and potassium to the mix is a bad idea since you can't do harm with those really, but don't waste your money on trace - flourish takes care of that.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. As for the DIY Co2, my tank is on that line of just being too large for an application like that, so I wasn't sure what to do. So you think I should stick with Excel for now? Like most, I am limited monetarily, but I want it done right and am a huge believer in spending more and doing it right initially to avoid issues and spending more money in the future.

As for my light, it is T5 lighting, but it is two 21w bulbs (42w total), and then 6 moonlight LEDs. Considering this wattage, I figured it's not "high" lighting, it may not even qualify as "Medium" lighting. I'm seeing that the pottasium dosing is a no brainer because it's mostly obtained through supplimenting it in.

So along with my Onyx and Eco-Complete, I will dose with Flourish, Excel, Potassium, and maybe Iron. I will be stocking the tank with fish after the plants are all taken care of, so that will take care of the other Macros, correct me if I'm wrong. As for the Micros, you think I'll be obtaining appropriate amounts through the fertilization above and the natural environment in my tank?

-45 Gallon
*High Tech
*All kinds of plants
*Barb species tank
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anyone have experience with dosing excel in a tank that has EI dosing and pressurized CO2? I'm mainly using it to kill some BBA but does it really help in a high-tech tank?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your gonna get bashed now for talking about watts per gallon lol. Ill pararhrase what you will get told... Watts per gallon means nothing, the only way to really know what light you have is with a par meter, as most of us dont have that just wait and see how you plants grow. Ill probably get bashed too now haha

Its entirely up to you how you do it but i would say i spent way too much money too quickly as once you change one parameter towards high tech you kinda need to do it all...lighting, co2, EI dosing etc... to avoid algae as the parameters need to match up if that makes sense.
I now wish i had stayed low tech for longer and built up my high tech equipment over time and then do a big change rather than changing 1 thing every week and hurting finacially... its an expensive hobby when starting up

I would say your plan is sound, my only advise would be that if you want a heavily planted tank then to plant heavy to start with, if its your first tank at least double the amount you were thinking of. If you can cover 50% of the substrate then do. The plants will outcompete algae this way.

IMO Excel is still the first line against algae whatever the tech level Deranged Corgi.

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your gonna get bashed now for talking about watts per gallon lol. Ill paraphrase what you will get told... Watts per gallon means nothing, the only way to really know what light you have is with a par meter, as most of us dont have that just wait and see how you plants grow. Ill probably get bashed too now haha

Its entirely up to you how you do it but i would say i spent way too much money too quickly, as once you change one parameter towards high tech you kinda need to do it all...lighting, co2, EI dosing etc... to avoid algae as the parameters need to match up if that makes sense.
I now wish i had stayed low tech for longer and built up my high tech equipment over time and then do one big change rather than changing 1 thing every week and hurting financially

IMO Excel is still the first line of defense against algae whatever the tech level DerangedCorgi

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I mean using it as a supplement along with CO2. I've heard people say it helps with plant growth in high tech tanks but... would it really help?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Definitely does make sense that to go high tech in one aspect pretty much means you have to go high tech all the way. I'll hold off on any Co2 for now. Basically I just have to start it and see what happens. I will be putting fast growing stem plants in right away and then I'll just add from there. Thanks for the input

-45 Gallon
*High Tech
*All kinds of plants
*Barb species tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode