Plants Pearling after partial water change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants Pearling after partial water change

I have a question regarding an unusual occurrence I've noticed the last 2 water changes. After doing a 30-40% WC, I notice that the plants really pearl aggressively immediately after adding the new water whereas earlier in the day they don't. I do EI dosing of ferts every other day, have a CO2 system with reactor setup, roughly 2.5WPG on my tank and also add Flourish and Flourish Iron a couple times a week. Adding the flourish/flourish iron or the macros don't seem to have this effect. There has to be something in the tap water that I'm not adding, but can't figure for the life of me what it is. Otherwise, plants are doing well and tank looks good, just trying to figure this out. I know this may be somewhat of a guessing game but I'm open to thoughts. Here in the midwest we have particularly hard municipal water, high in carbonates/hardness. Anyone else had this happen? I'm assuming that with the macros/micros/CO2/light/root tabs I'm supplying all nutrients but apparently not adequately. Pic below to show my setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRon View Post
I have a question regarding an unusual occurrence I've noticed the last 2 water changes. After doing a 30-40% WC, I notice that the plants really pearl aggressively immediately after adding the new water whereas earlier in the day they don't. I do EI dosing of ferts every other day, have a CO2 system with reactor setup, roughly 2.5WPG on my tank and also add Flourish and Flourish Iron a couple times a week. Adding the flourish/flourish iron or the macros don't seem to have this effect. There has to be something in the tap water that I'm not adding, but can't figure for the life of me what it is. Otherwise, plants are doing well and tank looks good, just trying to figure this out. I know this may be somewhat of a guessing game but I'm open to thoughts. Here in the midwest we have particularly hard municipal water, high in carbonates/hardness. Anyone else had this happen? I'm assuming that with the macros/micros/CO2/light/root tabs I'm supplying all nutrients but apparently not adequately. Pic below to show my setup.

I guess that would be the dissolved o2 in the tap water causing the pearling. It happens to me as well after 50% water change and I run Co2 and EI dose and never see my plants pearl other than after a water change.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Very normal. I really don't know if it's the co2 in the tap water or even the O2 but that is normal.

Someone else can explain more.

It happens after every water change in all of my tanks.

I normally have pearling anyway but on water change day, the sides of the tank "pearl".

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It's not just the plants that pearl it's everything, lol.. It's the dissolved gasses that are releasing now that they arn't under pressure anymore. City tap water is under alot of pressure 60 psi is usual, while it doesn't seem like much think of a pipe rupturing and the amount of pressure the water comes out at. If you filled a bucket and let it sit then filled your tank you wouldn't have the same affect because it would degas first, I have noticed it a lot now that I fill my tank directly from the faucet with a python because the only way for the gas to release in a highly saturated planted tank is as a bubble. Or from the surface if you have enough agitation, sorry if this is a little incoherent I'm tired and it's late.

Here is a pic that shows the degassing, no plants same pearling, remember pearling only occurs because your water is saturate with O2 and can't absorb any more..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311219844.545471.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	32851  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
When you expose plants to air, they are little bit like a sponge, internally, (anatomically, aquatic plants are hollow mostly, search aerenchyma). These will get filled fairly rapidly.

Then take a sponge and place into the water, it'll pearl as well.

Water changes are good also because the sticky micro bubbles stick to algae cells also, and pull them off plants.

Still, we can tell between growth and pearling alone.
I always get better growth and health the day of a water change, some have done daily good sized water changes and dosed etc with excellent results, but that's a lot of work.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You all bring up a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I noticed that under the leaves there were many bubbles and assumed it was from the plants, but the degassing of the water makes perfect sense. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRon View Post
You all bring up a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I noticed that under the leaves there were many bubbles and assumed it was from the plants, but the degassing of the water makes perfect sense. Thanks.
That said, I think we can all say that a water change does the plants good and seems to help both plants/livestock. You cannot over do water changes really.

And over time, you can tell that the water change helps the plants grow and the algae issues.

It's not just in our heads.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode