Couple questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Couple questions

Specs:
I have a a single t8 8000k 15 watt bulb in a ten gallon tank, which I beleive would be considered low light?
No Co2

I think I read this somewhere, active carbon in filter will take out the ferts I put into my tank, is this correct?

I got some osmocote for my rooted plants, but what should I get for my Java Ferns? I was thinking about buying the Green Fertilzer Package from green leaf aquariums. This with the osmocote, I should be good with ferts right?

I also will be buying some Cidex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
u are considered low light. that being said, with no c02. keep it simple. ur fishh and food waste should provide necessary N and P, you just need a few extras. a little GH booster has K in it as well as iron magnesium and calcium. ur water supply should provide a few others, like carbonates and sulfer. u can invest in plantex csm+b or seachem flourish comprehensive.
my sons 10 is done this way.

1 weekly water change, with 1/8 tsp of seachem equilibrium, 2 mls of seachem comprehensive and a small scoop of ph drop. plants grow JUST FINE slower than mine but healthy and full.

if you do osmocote, use sparingly,

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thanks

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

oh and yes active carbon will remove your ferts, i forgot to add that

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
oh and yes active carbon will remove your ferts, i forgot to add that
Then should you remove the carbon for 24 hours or not use it at all ???
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

not at all. ur plants along with weekly maintenance will control the dissolved organics. there is no need for chemical filtration other than to remove medication after treatment

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwasaloon View Post

I also will be buying some Cidex.
firefiend found that the bottle of cidex is listed as 2% thus Glut would be 3:1. Solution should be 75% metricide/ 25% water. post 31

Last edited by Hilde; 09-09-2011 at 03:49 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Activated carbon doesn't remove the fertilizers. It works primarily on large molecules - organic molecules, in other words. What is "ph drop"? It is much better to leave the pH alone at whatever value it assumes, than to try to adjust it with a chemical product. If you want lower pH, just mix in half RO/DI or distilled water, to drop the KH.

Hoppy
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
So, now I'm extra confused. It never dawned on me that I shouldn't use activated carbon with a planted tank (these are my first live-plant tanks). So I simply set the tanks up as I have in the past - I use HOB Whisper filters with API Ammo-Carb. Do you think that's ok, or is plain activated carbon better, or no media in the filter pouches better? I've read where some people don't use filters at all, but instead use other means of surface movement (but I'm a chicken).
One other question - I often see RO water referred to. What does RO stand for?
Thanks
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
1. I use HOB Whisper filters with API Ammo-Carb. Is plain activated carbon better, or no media in the filter pouches better?

2. I've read where some people don't use filters at all,

3. What does RO stand for?
1. I see some use carbon in the beginning. I have the blue floss in 1 filter.

2. I don't know how they do without a filter. Had tank with no filter with just Betta and it got smelly quick. I don't feel comfortable without a filter.

3. RO is reverse osmosis water which requires a special filter. I use a 1 gallon of distilled water from Wal-mart in my 10G tank when changing water. For ph is 7.8.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hilde, what is blue floss?
I work at Walmart, and I buy the Culligan water for drinking. Are you familliar with it? It has several layers of filtration, and I believe one is called reverse osmosis - I'll have to read the paperwork again. It is also carbon filtered and uv treated. I wonder if this would be beneficial water? It's only 33 cents a gallon. (and it tastes really great! lol It's what I give my pets, too)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Hilde, what is blue floss?

I buy the Culligan water for drinking.
Special floss material at pet store that is blue.

You mean the water out of the big box filter?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

LOL - I never heard it called the big box filter before, but I think that might be it. It's the kiosk like thing just inside the store. At least that's where ours is. It's basically blue, as that's their logo color. You can buy their water containers & refill them, or you can bring in your own containers. The cashier rings up how many gallons you got, regardless of what kind of container you use.
What does the blue floss do?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

floss captures particles and holds them there so bacteria can break them down. unless ur putting trash in ur fish tank, there is nothing that bacteria cant break down. if u have sufficient filter media, flow rates, and oxygen in ur water, there is no need to change filter pads. bacteria will grow and consume and break down everything that is stopped.my tank runns on bio filtration alone and my water is crystal clear. i find no use for cabron, purigen, fine pore pads, chemicals, floculants, etc.

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First, my apologies to moonwasaloon for hijacking the thread - I did it before I realized it...
Thanks, HD Blazingwolf (LOVE your avatar!) for the info - I've seen cut-to-size filter media at my lfs in three colors - one was blue. I'm very eager to try this!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode