Cycling tank for shrimp..add minerals later?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Cycling tank for shrimp..add minerals later??

Soo im cycling a tank that will house crs,oebt,and "better" rcs. Rather then adding in fluvals mineral supplement into the tank water while the tank cycles without any livestock,pretty much wasting the minerals,i decided to cycle the tank with just straight ro water. Now the question is when the tank has cycled and there is no ammo or nitrItes can i just do a huge waterchange and replace the tank with a pre-made batch of ro/mineral water or do i need to do gradual water changes until the parameters are where they need to be? I understand doing this with a tank thats already established is necisarry to reduse stress on livestock. But if there is only plants in the tank is there any reason i cant just change the water all at once?

TIA!!

Also on a sidenote,i finally got a tds meter and went test crazy on all my tanks and water sources. everything seems ok except my tds in this new tank has gradually increased some +30ppm in the last week or so. is this normal? i do have some questionable rock in the tank but i tested the rocks in a cup of water overr a week and half (gh,kh,ph no tds at the time) and nothing changed as far as those readings are concerned. so is it possible my tds is being raised by leaching rocks even though they didnt seem to alter any other parameters during "test". Is this going to be a problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Hi Pumpkinhead, it should be fine to dump in the water with the mineral rock.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
When you're done cycling, replace all the water with mineralized RO.

30 TDS change can be brought about by the RO sucking minerals from the gravel, or evaporation. Once you put mineralized water in there, it will probably stabilize.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thank you kind folks for your advice (no offense NEON) especially you Liam. Ive kind of became quite the follower of your shrimp keeping skills and appreciate all the help you give everybody. Not to mention you offer some great supplies too,ill be in touch with you come thursday about the things i need to get from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode