Gassed my tank... plecos & shrimp hit hardest - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Gassed my tank... plecos & shrimp hit hardest

A year or more ago I got tired of all the work involved with high tech tanks and ditched the CO2, Canisters Filters, and ferts for something a little simpler.

Sponge filters A few water changes through the year and some squirts of metricide here and there.

This is what I wound up with... an absolute jungle of vals, bolbitus, dwarf sag, and assorted ferns.
'

Well, I got bored with this recently and bought myself a new regulator, switched out my old 5lb tank for a 10 pounder, sold all the ferns and vals, bought some new stems, and connected a diffuser under my powerhead. I have a bubble counter but haven't installed it yet. I was just guestimating the amount of gas going into the water by comparing the mist to memories of old setups in similar sized tanks.

I also bought and started using a drop checker which apparently works very well, unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to it.

2 days ago the DC was blue
Yesterday it was Green but I accidentally tipped it over and thought perhaps it got diluted with tank water.
This morning it was Yellow
and...
hundreds of dead shrimp were floating at the surface
6 L-15 Plecos were upside down on the bottom
A pair of BN Plecos were upside down on the bottom
But...
Dozens of Tiger Endlers and a few large Apisto Cacs were swimming around like nothing had happened.

Solenoid Off, turned up the air on my sponge filters, added a bait bucket bubbler, and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately I had too much going on to be able to do a water change. I turned over all the plecos, placing them right side up and wished them well.

Now, 12 hours later... 1 L-15 is fertilizing the grass, and lots of shrimp are in the trash but I think everything else might make it (at least a few more hours anyway).

I guess the cats were hardest hit because they naturally prefer highly oxygenated water. Shrimp, because they a shrimp, were hit hard as well.

I was surprised to find the mid level swimmers were all ok.

I learned:

Drop checkers are wonderful things, I just need to pay attention to what it's telling me.

I need to connect my Bubble Counter.

I should probably add a few tablespoons of Baking Powder and some GH Builder to the water.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirston View Post

I should probably add a few tablespoons of Baking Powder and some GH Builder to the water.
how would adding those things affect c02 concentrations in the water column?

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
how would adding those things affect c02 concentrations in the water column?
Wouldn't buffering my soft water give me a little more leeway with water parameter fluctuations?

*thinking thinking thinking* <- My brain

Errr, never mind, I guess I was thinking about PH swings from the CO2 but my problem was really just too much Gas, never mind any PH swings that might have occurred as well.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
GH wont affect ph swings in my opinion. fish arent negatively impacted from pH changes from c02 either. its havingtoo much c02 and not enough o2 that causes most problems. if u still have fish alive in that tank, id say ur o2 concentrations were too low. i run 45 ppm c02 and have gone higher. Mr Barr runs between 60 -80 ppm of c02 and his fish BREED. so
i suggest increasing surface agitation and consider an airstone.

Colder water will hold more gas as well, and lower altitued. the reverse is true. warmer water at higher altitude will hold less gasses.
drop a degree or two in water (if you can) and increase surface agitation. my koralia practically points up. Imagine rapids over stones without the whitewash effect.
generating surface area is the key in efficient o2 diffusion

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode