Peat Pellets Really Work To Lower pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Peat Pellets Really Work To Lower pH

So I'd like my CRS to start breeding, and while others have some success in a higher pH, everyone seems to agree that the lower the pH, the better they breed, the faster they breed, the better the young survive, etc.

I didn't want to go with mixing RO water and then trying to always mix back in the exact same amount of RO water and minerals and all that, so I thought I'd try peat. I'm sure normal peat from the hardware store would have worked but I went with the Eheim Torf Pellets since they are made for it, less messy as they are little compact pellets and it was easier to measure how much to use exactly. I used about 1/2 box in the included mesh bag and put them in my Rena XP1 on a 20L as the last media in the basket. I have the course sponge, bio media, peat. I don't use the fine sponge since I have a pre-filter sponge on my intake, so that filters a lot of small stuff out anyways.

Day 0 pH 7.6, kH 5
Day 1 pH 7.2, kH 5
Day 3 pH 7.0, kH 3

Thats where I'm at right now, I'll test over the next few days and update the above stats to see where I get, where I stabilize and how long it lasts over the next few months.

Last night I saw every single CRS I have out on the driftwood hanging out, eating. I was surprised I had that many as I forget how many I've added over the few months, but they have never breed or seen so active as they did last night, so we'll see what happens.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Eheim Torf is a great product. Glad it's working for you.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and my

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Where do you get it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Does Eheim Torf tint the water?

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I got mine at Big Als. They did tint the water a very slight tannin color but it was hardly noticable. I did stop using it though in my 20gal long, as I got another tank setup for my crystals and that was the whole reason for doing it, was to lower my pH for the crystals and I got a small 7.5gal tank setup with netlea soil which brings the pH right down to around 6.5pH

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Peat is pretty good at lowering pH. You will need to change it after a while as it will go dead. It is also lowering the kH of your water at the same time so you should have some other buffer system in your tank other than carbonate.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode