is there such a thing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
is there such a thing?

Is there such a thing as K, or MG overdose? i've looked at a couple plant deficiency charts and some say that calcium def is similar looking to K or MG overdose. I've never heard of such a thing as the levels i think would have to be ridiculously high.
Someone please fill me in..
thanks

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
At some level, maybe. I have never seen it though.

Another deficiency that lots of folks confuse for them is co2...

I would bet that it is co2...

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi HD Blazingwolf,

I have overdosed KNO3 and "melted" a nice tank of Blyxa so it would not surprise me if we could overdose other nutrients.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi HD Blazingwolf,

I have overdosed KNO3 and "melted" a nice tank of Blyxa so it would not surprise me if we could overdose other nutrients.

Really?

I'm not saying that it can't happen but I have never seen it. I have overdosed my tanks plenty of times.

double and triple the amounts of EI with no problems at all.

My Blyxa grows insanely fast. Never once did it even slow down with an OD.

Are you sure that kno3 was the cause??

If that was the cause, maybe I could slow down the growth rate of my blyxa.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well i make this because i've started adding GH booster. the 1/2 tsp from EI dosing destroyed my Crypts multiple variations, and a few other plants decided to decline.
I believe its more of adding GH booster allowed my plants to use other nutrients more readily as i had low levels of every nutrient. (seachem line) i dosed daily but 5 ml of seachem nitrogen is like 1 ppm in my tank or something..

all that aside, i've gotten my dry ferts and have been adding them for a week now. plants are on recovery mode and growing new leaves BUT ALL the old ones are melting and falling off. my tank is Barren except for a few little sproutlets.

I believe its next to impossible to overdose K and MG. just a question that was on my mind.
also my water gh is 3.4 from the tap or 61 ppm. so i know i need it.

ALSO definitely not C02.. my tank is kept constant during the day at 45 ppm tested using a hach titration kit

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
from my experience crypts, vals and even java ferns will melt from large cahnges in water conditions. I had to drop my temp to fight a bacterial infectionand I lost many plants, weird.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ya i think im figuring that one out. i didnt think it was that drastic of a change though.. however. i have adjusted the GH booster to 1/4 tsp and will increase in 1/8's every week until i get back to 1/2 tsp. i noticed the melt 1 day after my water change and the beginning of EI. so im assuming ur right and it shocked the plants. i did i 30pwc and left it at that. this week i started with 1/4 tsp to see how that does

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Dempsey

150+ ppm NO3 = Blyxa melt for me; don't ask.....but suffice to say I should have read the instructions on the water test kit more carefully.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Dempsey

150+ ppm NO3 = Blyxa melt for me; don't ask.....but suffice to say I should have read the instructions on the water test kit more carefully.
You added 150ppm of NO3 from KNO3 by weight?
Or did the test kit say 150ppm of NO3?

I added 160ppm and was gone for 3 weeks, I never had issues with any plants, I did lose some shrimp, but I cannot say w/100% confidence that it was due to NO3.

All fish where fine.

My old tap was at 52ppm of Mg, so 25ppm is not an issue, this is about 10X what most might dose at once or have in their tap water.

I dose 45ppm NO3 via KNo3 weekly, you'd never reach the range required if you do a 40-50% water change.

It is not likely anyone needs more than 30-40ppm a week of NO3, often times, less.
As far as K+, the 2002 winner of the AGA contest Erik had well over 100ppm of K+ at the time of the pic. I've dosed 50-100ppm without ever having a single issue with every claimed plant stunting tip.
This myth became wildly popular back in 2002-2003 for a bit.
PO4, is likely well over 50-100ppm.
Ca++ as well.

Fe, at least 5-10ppm, Hydrilla's optimal growth occurred at 6ppm of Fe.

Nutrient blame game is wildly popular on all forums and web sites.
Rarely do they blame poor CO2 or too much light.

I find that most curious.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You added 150ppm of NO3 from KNO3 by weight?
Or did the test kit say 150ppm of NO3?

I added 160ppm and was gone for 3 weeks, I never had issues with any plants, I did lose some shrimp, but I cannot say w/100% confidence that it was due to NO3.

All fish where fine.

My old tap was at 52ppm of Mg, so 25ppm is not an issue, this is about 10X what most might dose at once or have in their tap water.

I dose 45ppm NO3 via KNo3 weekly, you'd never reach the range required if you do a 40-50% water change.

It is not likely anyone needs more than 30-40ppm a week of NO3, often times, less.
As far as K+, the 2002 winner of the AGA contest Erik had well over 100ppm of K+ at the time of the pic. I've dosed 50-100ppm without ever having a single issue with every claimed plant stunting tip.
This myth became wildly popular back in 2002-2003 for a bit.
PO4, is likely well over 50-100ppm.
Ca++ as well.

Fe, at least 5-10ppm, Hydrilla's optimal growth occurred at 6ppm of Fe.

Nutrient blame game is wildly popular on all forums and web sites.
Rarely do they blame poor CO2 or too much light.

I find that most curious.

I love it when you post, it makes me feel more intelligent just looking at your name

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode