What now? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What now?

So, when I got home this morning I went ahead and added a little Phosphorus to the tank. I am running a 55g, 216W T5 HO and pressurized CO2.
Well when I woke up this afternoon my tank was cloudy so I decided to take a sample into work and run an analysis on it. Come to find out my P level is something like 57.2ppm. As soon as I get off work I will be doing back to back water changes.
I was also thinking I need to add a Phos-guard.
Should I add the phos-guard or will the back to back water changes be enough? I will be testing again tomorrow night.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaniel View Post
added a little Phosphorus to the tank....

...my P level is something like 57.2ppm.
lol,man -what a dose
just fallow the sticky
add P,add N,add micros...50%WC
and no way to reach a level like your.
what about test kit?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafil View Post
lol,man -what a dose
just fallow the sticky
add P,add N,add micros...50%WC
and no way to reach a level like your.
what about test kit?
Thanks for the reply. i dont think i will be adding anything else until after i get everything back down to a normal level. i am pretty sure the test was right.
I used a spectrophotometer and the test is for total P uses a digestion method. Had to run through all three ranges (Low, High, and Ultra High) before I was able to get a result.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Get an ordinary PO4 test kit.even not calibrated
What is your sourse for Phosphorus?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't panic. It is unlikely that anything bad will happen if you actually do have that much phosphate in the water. It isn't going to do any harm to do a couple of 50% water changes in a short time, as long as you use Prime or equivalent each time, and don't use extremely cold water.

Then if you just follow the sticky on dosing schemes you can devote your attention to getting the CO2 right, which really does make a big difference.

Hoppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright,
So here is the full story; I was looking for a way to dose P using items that I can find locally. I was directed to look into Fleet. I went ahead and picked some up after my first night of work on this rotation (so after being up all day then working a 13 hour shift I had been up for ~ 29 hours) when I started to try and figure out the conversion and amount to add of the Fleet to raise the P levels to 0.5ppm. That is what I was shooting for.
After sleeping I have been able to try and figure out how much P I actually added.
Fleet contains 19g in 118ml of solution of P (Monobasic) so if my conversions are correct 1ml should contain 0.16g of P. I added about 59ml of solution straight to my tank. Again hadn’t slept in a while and thought “19g, that’s nothing for a 55g”. About 9.44g of P should be the total that was added.
If you look at Rex Griggs site*, he states that for KH2PO4, “¼ teaspoon (1.2 grams) will add 12.86 ppm of phosphates to 20 gallons of water.” That being said 0.3g should give the same reading for 5 gallons of water. To get a reading of 12.86ppm in a 55g I would have to have added 3.3g. Since I added a bit more than the 3.3g (9.44g) I believe that my reading were correct.
I went ahead and did back to back to back 50% water changes this morning as well as added a bag of seachem organic and phosphate absorber. I will only leave this in the tank until I am able to get the P back under control.
I have brought a new sample to work with me tonight and will be testing again.
As a note on the sticky, I have read it over twice and will be reading it again tonight to make sure I did not miss anything, although it gives great info about dosing it does not go into any detail as to when you cannot get pure chemicals or choose to use local chemicals.
Thanks,
Luke
* http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode